Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2009, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

That is the truth around here. There is so much competition it's insane. From the bigger companies with fleets to even the smaller companies like mine, there are so many mowers around here it's hard to establish yourself.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Lawn Care View Post
I live in the mid-west (Kansas City, Mo), and it seems like there is so much competition out here that unless you are a huge company with a fleet of mowers and 10 trucks it's darn near impossible to land some of the larger accounts. Does anyone have any suggestions on this. I have a large neighborhood account that I do now (about 21 acres of homes), but I would like to expand. Please help.

Good luck. The market here is so saturated its unreal.

I like to play to the fact that I DONT have 10 trucks going out and I give every customer personal attention. Ive landed lots of accounts because people are just sick and tired of not being able to communicate with the companies they are using.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

What's been your best approach for getting contracts. It seems that people now are comfortable with their current provider and don't even want to be given a bid. I'm also having trouble finding people looking for services.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
What's been your best approach for getting contracts. It seems that people now are comfortable with their current provider and don't even want to be given a bid. I'm also having trouble finding people looking for services.

Are you talking about commercial accounts or residential?
Old 10-23-2009, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I would prefer commercial but both would be fine.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I would prefer commercial but both would be fine.

Commercials are tough to break into. I got mine because my customers own the businesses or from friends.

Your best bet is to stick to residentials till you get big enough and then branch out.

As far as homes goes...I have always let my work do the talking. Word of mouth is the best reference you can have.

I do some advertising. Doorhangers and local newspapers are the best way to go. Postcards are great also.

Winter is a great time to get everything together for the spring. Start advertising in March and blanket your area. Make sure everyone sees your name. Get a sign for your trailer. Letter your truck. Join your cities Chamber of Commerce.

If you go to church advertise in their bulletin also.

DONT waste your money on a yellow book ad. I spent over $4000.00 in 3 years and got ONE lead off of it. Its a total waste of money.

Also think about a website. I get a lot of traffic off of mine.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

River City -- Gotta tell ya I wish we were a small company right now.. The fact that as a smaller business your overhead is extremely low as well as taxes, payroll, etc... Use this to your advantage when formulating a tight bid. Use your best rates to break that first nut open. Your larger companies cannot compete with you -- what holds you back is a long list of performance successes. I would have to say this market is prime for the small guy who can forulate a great presentation and guarantee personal service.

As far as your sub and how they bill -- they bill you - the reason you would offer that sub is so your commercial customer writes just one check a month.. Consider searching out a few subs this winter to make yourselk more turn-key -- get a pool guy, spray sub, plumber (for backflows only), an irrigation guy, and a snow company on your list of ammo for your next big target.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. I sent out about 400 postcards last year and only received 1 call. I know you can expect a low percent on those, but I thought I would get more than one call and it only ended up being a one time deal to get the season going for this home owner.

I never really thought about having all those other subs on hand but it really makes a lot of sense. I do have people I would use but have never made it official that they are the ones for sure, it was more like if something came up I would call and see if they could check it out, no guarantee that they would do it.

I don't necessarily want to become big time, I would like to just remain busy and not have to have a whole lot of window time. I prefer the one stop bigger jobs.