Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2009, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was able to get in to the site today and finally be able to walk around without sinking into the mud.

I piddled around and started setting grade stakes. That's turning out pretty good so far. The existing grade is pretty consistent so I don't have too many elevation changes.

The lowest spot is around the concrete steps going into the basement and I might have to pull some dirt out away from the house some, otherwise I'm going to have a hill in the sidewalk.

I'll post pics tomorrow. Things should be dried out enough to get rid of the rip-rap from the old steps out of the way and dig out a couple of spots that aren't low enough yet. Then I'll be able to finalize my grade in the front of the house.

The goal is now to have my base set and compacted by Wednsday afternoon. The next chance of rain is Thursday, and I would like to be able to lay pavers as soon as it stops.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

BOOOO! No Pics

Forgot the camera today, and it was such a nice day that I didn't want to waste any time while I have a chance to work.

So I hauled out the rip rap from the front steps. I swear there was more than 2 tons of debris in there.

I've got the grade set on the first half of the sidewalk and I'm hoping to have my sub-grade compacted and my first load of CA-6 (crushed gravel) in and compacted by the end of the day tomorrow.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Finally, Grade is set.

I got all my grade stakes out and marked. I'm really pleased with how everything is turning out so far. The existing grade was almost exactly where it needed to be, so it was just a matter of my elevation.

Here are some pics from late day. My first load of CA-6 is coming in the morning. Somewhere around 12 tons. Originally I estimated 32 tons, but, my trench is a little wider and deeper than I originally estimated for. I might be closer to 42 when it's all said and done.

Name:  pack1.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  130.0 KB

I love the sunsets and the fall colors together. One of the reasons I love my Profession.
Name:  pack2.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  149.2 KB

The pile of rubble from the front steps. I broke all that up with a Jack Hammer.
Name:  pack3.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  190.4 KB

Name:  pack4.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  114.2 KB

Center Island. It has been a thorn in my side. It held a lot of water, and might be dry enough tomorrow to grade a little more and pack it.

Name:  pack5.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  137.9 KB

Old 10-20-2009, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Couple more pics of the day.

More Fall color

Name:  pack6.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  148.4 KB

And for any of you Office fans, " Wacker, that's what she said ".
Name:  pack7.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  139.4 KB

Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Laid my fabric, 15 tons of rock across the whole run to establish half my base.

It's supposed to rain tonight so I'm glad that's done. I'm hoping that with half the base in place and compacted that any rain will run off of it.

I'll post pics tomorrow of today's activities. Right now I'm tired and need a shower..............................

Old 10-24-2009, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not a bad day.....

So, surprisingly enough, I was able to work today. Let me give you a little update info.

So, last Wednesday, I had the 15 tons brought in. My neighbor, who is also my mechanic, helped me spread and compact it while I ran the mini moving the material. That day I was able to get a minimum of 2, no more than 5 inches compacted to be able to make water run away if it rained. Then yesterday my neighbor's basement flooded when his sump pump quit working, so I had the pleasure of helping him tear out the carpet and get the basement dried up.

So, Thursday it rained, and then Thursday night, then Friday, the Friday night into this morning. We ended up with 4 inches of rain. I think that makes a total of over 8 inches of rain for the month. I've only worked 8 days out of the last 28. Right now the 10 day forecast doesn't look the greatest.

That's it in a nutshell. Luckily the skies parted about 11 a.m. this morning and I was able to lay more base. I was spent from hauling carpet the day before so I got probably about 8 tons laid today. My fill was wet from being in the rain the last couple of days, so when I went to compact it, I was squeezing water out of the fill. Luckily I had only one spot that held water and has too much water in it to get it compacted. Hopefully we will get a streak of dry weather to dry everything up..

Name:  base2a.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  140.5 KB

Name:  base2b.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  129.4 KB

This is the corner where I had water standing.

Name:  base2c.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  123.9 KB

Name:  base2d.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  99.7 KB

Old 10-24-2009, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Last pic I forgot to load. For some reason the same image is coming up twice.

Name:  base2e.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  104.2 KB
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2009, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good, atleast the rain is doing good for you on the mowing side of things. If you ever have time to get back to the mowing haha.

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 10-25-2009, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Freak View Post
Looks good, atleast the rain is doing good for you on the mowing side of things. If you ever have time to get back to the mowing haha.
Ha, tell me about it. Luckily the cooler temps have slowed down the yards considerably. One of my lawns is fescue and could stand a cut, but it might wait another week. I'm also lucky that I only have a handful of lawns. I did come home early to chop the leaves around my hard maple, otherwise I didn't see another opportunity to get them mulched.

We did have the first large leaf drop from the last rain we had. A couple of customers have called for a cleanup, I might try to get those done Tues morning before noon, as their yards are small and the city hauls the debris on Weds.

My goal (taking rain into consideration), is to have a good start on the pavers next Thurs. Having the base started is my saving grace. If by some chance I get started on the pavers then, I hope to be done laying them no more than seven days from then due to the weather and a couple places I'll have to make some intricate cuts.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

S600TX = Awesome

So today I had my pavers, restraint, and poly sand delivered to the job site. There was no real good place for the truck to turn around in the drive so he pulled in strait and was going to back out of the drive when he left.

He had a double axle, I would say medium sized rig, and a single axle trailer with a spider on the back.

When he was backing out he got the rear drive axle just barely off the road. He tried to lock his air-locker for the rear axle to try to get some traction from the tire that was still on the pavement, but he had an air leak somewhere and it wouldn't engage the locker in the axle.

I told him to take some air out of the rear air bags to lower the rear and that actually got him the traction needed to pull ahead.

Well, he had to back up again so he could make the turn and hung the rear wheel on the edge of the road again. Keep in mind in normal conditions this wouldn't be a big deal, but everything is soaked and sloppy and getting off the road a little bit and you lose traction.

So, I busted out the mini skid and hooked a strap to the front of the truck. We both wondered if it was going to actually work or not, and I figured if it didn't, the owner has his 4020 John Deere Tractor, so I wasn't worried.

Low and behold, I had the tracks on the chip rock/oil road and it pulled the semi far enough ahead to get traction. The mini hardly worked, and the tracks barely spun on the road.

So, I wish I had the camera, that would have made a good picture. If I had any doubts about the S600TX having plenty of power, they were washed away in this instant.