Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-23-2009, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

High Phos..High Iron

Looking for good links or advice from someone. My soil is super high in Phos and Iron...off the chart high. (no its not from me). The soil test report suggested that high phos levels would inhibit the availablity of iron. Seems logical givin the high levels of both. Visual observation would suggest this to some extent as well. Anyone know how long it would take for the phos levels to decline naturally? Secondly would the inclusion of available iron in my regular fert program be a bad thing?
Old 10-24-2009, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Add Zinc, or remove clippings, grow corn one year. **Even, don't worry about it.

"Zinc: Phosphorus interactions have been studied and widely publicized for many years. The results have shown that high levels of either element can depress the uptake of the other. While we know that the interaction can occur, we do not know enough to accurately predict when problem will occur. However, when soil P tests are above about 100 to 150 lb. /acre by either the Bray-P1 or Mehlich 3 procedures, the possibility of depressed Zn uptake should be a concern. The problem may be more severe, or occur at a lower soil P test in soils with a pH significantly higher than 7.0. It is rare in everyday situations for Zn applications to reduce P uptake. However, it can occur under the right conditions."

How does the turf look?? Any problems?
Old 10-24-2009, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looks great by most standards. In fact its nicer than all but 1 house..and his you only see from 500 yards away. The problems are really only noticed at specific times and I doubt anyone who isnt a seasoned vet would notice. Stress part of the summer..but not really a biggie. It's more in the way that certain areas respond to fert applications. ... not lasting as long as I think it will...growing without as much of the expected blue/green color. Dollar spot and red thread are never far away and leaf spot is almost always present to some extent. (im talking close inspection...nothing can be seen from 10 feet away)Spring time is easy..(as you know). Im trying to form a baseline approach before I commit to doing anything. I've talked to some guys who say just apply fe all the time to compensate for the lack of uptake...but I just cant see this as a solution...assuming they're even right! It's 5 year old construction so it def has a bad case of construction idis...new dirt here..native unbelievably bad soil there. High phos is common here. Dont get me wrong..the place looks amazing...It's gonna take a while to work it all out.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is believed that OM is a great balancer and buffer for a number of different soil issues. Do you ever do compost topdressings?