Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-25-2009, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I went back to work for the excavation company I quit last summer. I know, I know, I hated it. But it seems to have gotten easier due to certain people being gone. Its only a part time thing though..

But anyways, this was Friday(didnt have to go to school) around lunch time, me and the owner went dam near the NC state line to pick up some things. Then we came back, me and the foreman over excavation and landscaping(only guy above me now) went and planted the 4 trees before quitting time.

I know yall are curious about the truck, its a 2003 F550 with a 7.3 backed with a 6speed. Only has 338,000 miles..

Its a super clean truck, one dent on the passenger side, a couple small scratches that would rub out. The motor was rebuilt, I am not sure when. But the owner bought it in this current state for $9k.

I really like this truck though, has tons of torque and yanked around the trailer that weights 7k, four cherry trees at 2,400 pounds a piece, and the 303 at right around 7,800 pounds like it was nothing.(yes, the trackhoe is chained down, one through the blade, one through a hook on the back and one across the bucket. All binders are on the passenger side.)

check out my buddy's deer from the last sunday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 10-26-2009, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So had someone call about having a burnt trailer demolished, how do I charge for something like this?

And no, I havent looked at it yet. Dad brought it to me, I know how to do it just have no idea how to price it out..

Quote:

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
So had someone call about having a burnt trailer demolished, how do I charge for something like this?

And no, I havent looked at it yet. Dad brought it to me, I know how to do it just have no idea how to price it out..
First you must find a place that takes burnt wood and trash, then get a price per ton.

then find out how many yards/ ton of debris you have to haul away.

figure out what you need to load it with

figure out what you need to haul it in ( dump truck or dumpster) figure thoses prices out

then figure how long it will take you on a machine to load and haul all the debris away.

put all those together and work up a estimate

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 10-26-2009, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How big is the trailer and do you have to dispose of it? I dont know what you could charge but that is something I would be thinking about.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman2007 View Post
First you must find a place that takes burnt wood and trash, then get a price per ton.

then find out how many yards/ ton of debris you have to haul away.

figure out what you need to load it with

figure out what you need to haul it in ( dump truck or dumpster) figure thoses prices out

then figure how long it will take you on a machine to load and haul all the debris away.

put all those together and work up a estimate
I know this isnt the right thing to do, but Dad mentioned burying the debris and hauling the metal to the scrap yard? Its in the middle of like 20 acres..

Quote:

Old 10-26-2009, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselnut View Post
How big is the trailer and do you have to dispose of it? I dont know what you could charge but that is something I would be thinking about.
I heard 16x80, but the lady said its the biggest trailer they make. So I dont know what to think?

Quote:

Old 10-26-2009, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh its a trailer as in a house. I thought it was a equipment trailer. Dont they have some type of tin roof or some metal that has some value? There was a Dirty Jobs on a trailer demo guy.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselnut View Post
Oh its a trailer as in a house. I thought it was a equipment trailer. Dont they have some type of tin roof or some metal that has some value? There was a Dirty Jobs on a trailer demo guy.
Dads thought was burying the debris because they arent going to put a house back there. But I'd much rather haul the stuff off than bury it.

And John, my thought was to haul the wood and other BS to the dump, then haul the metal and frame to the scrap yard..

Quote:

Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
I know this isnt the right thing to do, but Dad mentioned burying the debris and hauling the metal to the scrap yard? Its in the middle of like 20 acres..
I'd pile it all up, seperate all the metal and set the rest of the wood and junk back on fire, then bury the ashes.

haul the metal, or aluminum to the scrap yard and get what you can out of it.

I'm not a fan of burying raw trash but if the owner is ok with doing it then I would.

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 10-26-2009, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If the owner is ok with burrying it go ahead and do it. Save some dump fees if you have them and also trucking fees. Might be able to make some decent money on the metal. Good idea about burning. Keep you nice and warm with the cold days we are having.

Shouldnt be a hard job with the bobcat excavator you have.