Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2009, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone watch the video?

We spent a lot of time and money to get those new video demos up of the Tedbrakes. Only one person commented. Has anyone watched them, and what do you think? Here are the links.

Demo Video #1

Demo Video #2

Really was looking forward to more input about them in action . . . help me out here!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you guys move to slow down the hill. full speed down the wet hill then slam on the brakes and see what happens! this seems like a product we'd have to test for our self to actually be convinced it works, well for me anyway! good videos though, the guys just move to darn slow for me! make it look like they really dont want those brakes to work. just my 2 cents!
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 10-26-2009, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ted,

I watched the Isenhour video last night, and just finished watching the one with Mr. Hayes. I only watched each video once, so might catch some things upon subsequent viewings that I didn't the first time. I'm not trying to be a critic, only conveying my first impressions.

I think the video with Mr. Hayes does a much better job of actually showing the stopping power of the braking system. Perhaps it is the camera angle, or distance from the lens, but even though the Isenhour tape is on steeper slopes, it, for me, seems harder to really see what the brakes are doing.

That said, I think it is obvious in both videos that the brakes do work. I just feel the Hayes video does a better job of presenting it to your audience.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted corriher View Post
Really was looking forward to more input about them in action . . . help me out here!
I think the brakes are a great idea. Keep up the good work.
As for the videos, its hard to show control of a machine. Its easy to show "out of control". Get some footage of a machine sliding out of control and then applying the brakes. If the non-believers saw a ztr with the rear wheels stopped and sliding down a hill and then hit the brakes and stop...this may convince them. This was demonstrated in the videos on a small scale, but I'm thinking of a long slide. Seat belt, roll bar, helmet and a 30 plus degree wet hill. Get those guys from Nitro Circus to do it!

Scott
Old 10-26-2009, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

High Speed Slides

What a coincidence. I am uploading some of the original testing footage as well as an interview with the owner of the property we tested on. He came by the other day and told me that he almost took a swim in his pond on his mower because he lost control and had a nasty slide down the same hill we shot the test footage on almost 9 months ago. He wanted to see if they were ready to be put on his mower yet, and also offered $1000 to me to have them on his mower by next season.

We did not put any stipulations on our independent testers in the first two videos, and I personally can understand why they were hesitant to go very fast down up to a 24 degree wet slope that each had both already had a scary "out of control" experience on before with something that they had never tried before. My cameraman informed me that Clark was not about to tear up his personal grass at his house, and looking at how beautiful those hills were, like I said before, I don't blame him.

They are not likely candidates to go ripping down their customers or personal property's turf, then induce an out of control slide (tearing up the grass) and then apply the brakes. The purpose for them in their minds was to mow the way they would in a normal situation on severe slopes that consistently give them problems and then had to decide on whether or not they made a difference.

I on the other hand . . . have been doing exactly what you are wanting to see since I created the very first set and took them down a hill. I will post a link to the third demo video that we worked on as soon as it has uploaded.

It shows some testing with High Speed Out of Control Slides going straight down slopes up to 26.5 degrees with a pond at the bottom as well as driving across the slopes then inducing a slide and finally applying brakes to regain control. We had tape on the tires to make it a little easier to see what the front and rear tires are doing during the slides.

I agree that the videos will never do them justice and that to truly appreciate them, you would have to have them on your mower (or live close enough to Newton NC to come by and test them) and be out of control sliding towards a pond or an embankment. If anyone is interested in coming to NC to demo them after the GIE EXPO then time permitting would be happy to get some more testing footage. Just have to find somewhere and someone who doesn't mind getting their grass tore up from the operator purposely inducing the slides. . . which is hard to do. People around here truly respect the turf!

Last edited by ted corriher; 10-26-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted corriher View Post
We did not put any stipulations on our independent testers, and I personally can understand why they were hesitant to go very fast down a 24 degree wet slope that each had both already had a scary "out of control" experience on before with something that they had never tried before.

They are not likely candidates to go ripping down their customers or personal property's turf, then induce an out of control slide (tearing up the grass) and then apply the brakes. The purpose for them in their minds was to mow the way they would in a normal situation on severe slopes that consistently give them problems and then had to decide on whether or not they made a difference.
ya i can understand that! just sayin though!
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 10-26-2009, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Only one more hour till the video I was talking about is finished uploading. I believe that it has more of the kind of footage you are looking for. It is at the end of the video though.

I have to get to bed pretty soon as I still have alot of loose ends to finish up before I leave for the Expo tomorrow, but I will post the link before I leave.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

ok, it has finished uploading, but not processing. Anyways, I can at least give you a link, but I would wait a little bit until it finishes processing or you won't be able to see it very well.

High Speed Slide Test Video

All of the past three videos can be viewed in HD if you have that kind of bandwidth and don't mind the time it takes to load to watch it in HD.

The first portion of the video is an interview with the property owner about his near "pond" experience.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

good luck at the expo. Hope we hear good news when you get back.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Greg! I just hope that it goes well too. That booth was EXPENSIVE and it is only 20x20!

Tags
mower safety , zero turn mower brakes , ztr mower brakes