Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-27-2009, 03:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The third video is dramatic. You can clearly see the impact the front brake have. I can see a use for them even on flat ground. At the speeds my Dixie goes I often have to start slowing down a pretty good distance before the end of a row just to keep the rear tires from sliding. With TedBrakes I would be able to go further at full speeds before slowing down thereby increasing productivity.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok, the High Speed Long Hill Slide Video is finished processing. Check it out.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The third video is dramatic. You can clearly see the impact the front brake have. I can see a use for them even on flat ground. At the speeds my Dixie goes I often have to start slowing down a pretty good distance before the end of a row just to keep the rear tires from sliding. With TedBrakes I would be able to go further at full speeds before slowing down thereby increasing productivity.
I asked Ted several times if they work on the flat surface - he didn't answered (his explanation - on the hill down, more weight goes on front wheels), so I can assume - it doesn't work on the flat grass for deceleration
Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demhustler View Post
I asked Ted several times if they work on the flat surface - he didn't answered (his explanation - on the hill down, more weight goes on front wheels), so I can assume - it doesn't work on the flat grass for deceleration
They do work good on flat surface as well. Same concept as a car. Momentum going forward acts similar to going down a hill. Sorry, I guess I missed that post or forgot to answer. We should do a flat surface video too I guess. So focused on the safety aspect that I didn't think about increasing productivity.

Sorry for not responding.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by demhustler View Post
No, they only work if the hill is steep enough,. It has built in angle sensors so they will only allow the hydraulic brakes to work when on a very steep hill.

Of course they will work on flat ground, they can be applied at any time in any condition and still stop the mower on a dime. As Ted said, they are no different then auto brakes or even motorcycle brakes.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
No, they only work if the hill is steep enough,. It has built in angle sensors so they will only allow the hydraulic brakes to work when on a very steep hill. .
The angle sensors are something that the guys from Delta Systems are working on. They were there during the initial brake testing to see how well our Tedbrakes worked in the field so they could evaluate whether or not they would be a good fit for their angle sensors.

Our braking system is independantly operated and has No Sensors. The Tedbrake can be applied by the operator at any given time with or without a slope.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

LOL, I know but the other dude just doesn't grasp the concept of brakes or is it physics he's having trouble with?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Will there be a way to use Tedbrakes as parking brakes as well?

Why not 4 wheel disc brakes? This would eliminate the ability to burn out hydros. Offset the braking 60/40 front/back like cars, or at least 80/20 Where you have front brakes, you will have guys that will work against them, wearing the pads out, warping the rotors, or burning the hydros up. At the same time, the brakes need to be the weak link, not the hydros.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2009, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman2307 View Post
Will there be a way to use Tedbrakes as parking brakes as well?

Why not 4 wheel disc brakes? This would eliminate the ability to burn out hydros. Offset the braking 60/40 front/back like cars, or at least 80/20 Where you have front brakes, you will have guys that will work against them, wearing the pads out, warping the rotors, or burning the hydros up. At the same time, the brakes need to be the weak link, not the hydros.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is not true. The operators are what will dictate the life of the hydros. Proper use of front brakes will do nothing to the hydros. Anyone can go out and buy a piece of equipment and beat the living crap out of it in one day and destroy it. In reality, applying the front brake (not trying to lock it up, just lightly applying them) while moving will only simulate a load similar to riding up a hill IF you don't back off the controls.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
LOL, I know but the other dude just doesn't grasp the concept of brakes or is it physics he's having trouble with?
I'm guessing the "other dude" is asking if there is enough weight on the fronts on flat ground for the brakes to actually stop the tractor, not just lock up and skid. Think about it. If you are going up hill and apply the brakes, you know the fronts will just skid. How about on flat ground?

Scott

Tags
mower safety , zero turn mower brakes , ztr mower brakes