Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-27-2009, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Overcast, 50 degrees, and a 40% chance of light rain. Luckily the radar is picking up some moisture that doesn't seem to be hitting the ground and no mist, sprinkles or rain to speak of.

My father in-law called and needed a couple tons of wet gluten from the ethanol plant to feed the 4 cows he has in his lot outside of Mackinaw IL. I have to go clear to Pekin Il, where the plant is located on the Illinois River and first had to drop off the boy in Morton IL to a relative who was going to baby-sit. So needless to say it took close to 4 hours just to do that load.

I need to hang out in the organic forum and figure out exactly what those guys are using gluten for when it comes to a green weed control. I can get wet or dry, and sometimes they have an oversupply and I can get it for 15.00 dollars a ton.

I paid for the fuel and gluten and told him to put it on my tab. Whenever he has a couple of pigs or cows slaughtered, then we get some of the meat, so I have no problems paying for some supplies.

It all works out great in the end when you only pay $2.50 a lb. for all your beef and pork, and I know what has or hasn't been injected in them.

I might try to talk him into raising some yard birds next year. That would be some good eats.

I still need to leave here shortly and go do a cleanup. It's going to stink as wet and sloppy as it is outside. Luckily I don't need the mower and bagger on this yard so it will just be a blower, rake and a tarp. I've come to the conclusion that in order to get finished for the season with my final mowings and a few cleanups, I'm going to have to muck around peoples yards. I really don't like to do that for every obvious reason you can think of, but I'm in a pinch now. I might take some pics we'll see how it goes.

So, just reading this post, I realized I'm pretty much an egdeumacated, red-neck landscaper. Oh well, seems like you always come around full circle from where you started from. In my case I grew up on a farm, so everything I do now is only fitting.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Clean Up in the rain

Needless to say I was soaked, the debris was soaked, the leaves were soaked.

Took 2 hours. I used my hedge trimmer attachment like a scythe to cut down a few perennial flowers and a few good masses of Hosta's. While I was at it I went ahead and trimmed the box woods. They were looking funky like they had some sort of rust on the outer leaves and there were a few dead leaves in them. They looked better even though I don't like to trim bushes this late in the season.

All in all, 2 hours and I was done. I didn't charge her as she is the client that referred me to the current client I am doing the paver sidewalk for. I thought it would be a little kick-back for her.

Name:  Barbfall1.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  119.3 KB

Name:  barbfall2.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  148.3 KB

Another customer with a giant Miscanthus. They don't hold well in the winter so it was time to chop them down.

Name:  barbfall3.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  113.6 KB

Name:  barbfall4.jpg
Size:  126.6 KB

Old 10-27-2009, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And the after pics. I will be going back in two weeks to do a final clean-up.

Name:  barbfall5.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  117.4 KB

Name:  barbfall6.jpg
Size:  132.4 KB

Name:  barbfall7.jpg
Size:  132.4 KB

Name:  barbfall8.jpg
Size:  108.9 KB

Name:  barbfall9.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  138.3 KB

Old 10-29-2009, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looking at a possibility of up to 3 inches of rain over the next 36 hours.

But, luckily the 10 day looks great !!!!!!

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/61732

I don't think I've seen a ten day forecast that looked as good as this one in about 2 months.

BNI meeting this morning, and then it up to the site to get my concrete in for the base for the steps. I'll take pics. If I can get that done today, and maybe a little more base, then I'll be a happy camper. I was hoping to have the base finished today, but, they are calling for the rain to start this afternoon.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Looking at a possibility of up to 3 inches of rain over the next 36 hours.

But, luckily the 10 day looks great !!!!!!

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/61732

I don't think I've seen a ten day forecast that looked as good as this one in about 2 months.

BNI meeting this morning, and then it up to the site to get my concrete in for the base for the steps. I'll take pics. If I can get that done today, and maybe a little more base, then I'll be a happy camper. I was hoping to have the base finished today, but, they are calling for the rain to start this afternoon.
White Gardens,
I've enjoyed reading your thread and can't wait to see your final product out at the farm house. But I got to tell you, you gotta stop looking at that 10 day forcast. Everytime you give us the 10 day, you say it's gonna dry up, and it never has for you. I always look 3 days ahead on the foecast. After that, it's just a guess. Anyway, good luck and I hope you don't get 3 inches, that's a lot of rain.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOWNITDOWN View Post
But I got to tell you, you gotta stop looking at that 10 day forcast. Everytime you give us the 10 day, you say it's gonna dry up, and it never has for you. Anyway, good luck and I hope you don't get 3 inches, that's a lot of rain.
Well, looking like three inches minimum. Lots of heavy rain tonight into tomorrow. Your probably right though, I might be jinking myself, but I'm trying to be as positive about the rain as much as possible. Sometimes I think I'm just kidding myself, but I feel we might have turned a corner on the rain and I'm praying for a dry spell on so many levels.

Mownitdown, thanks for following my thread. I really didn't realize there are people paying close attention to the farm house job until you posted.

I need to find the data, but I wouldn't be surprised if we've had around 10 inches of rain or more for the month. That is absolutely ridiculous for the month of October. The harvest around here hasn't been this far behind since 1960's. The farmers are who I feel the most for right now.

So, here is what I got done the last two days. Not much time involved but it needed to be done. It is the pad that I needed to lay to set the pre-cast, hollow steps. I just did a simple horseshoe where it sits and the front of the pad will be just far enough back to set my first row of pavers right underneath the steps.

11.5, 60lbs bags of concrete. 45 minutes was all it took to mix and float it. I think the form took longer to make than actually setting the concrete. After it had set some, I went ahead and filled between the pads with more crushed gravel and made it higher in the middle so that water runs off of it the next 48 hours.

You can't see it, but I put a "WG 09" in the back of the pad and will be hidden by the steps. I like leaving a little mark wherever I can when working with mortar or concrete.

Name:  set1.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  107.3 KB

Name:  set2.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  113.8 KB

Old 10-29-2009, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

very nice..

Does that concrete from the bag finish real well?

I am asking because Dad built a shed in the backyard and it needs a little concrete apron at the double door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 10-29-2009, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
very nice..

Does that concrete from the bag finish real well?

I am asking because Dad built a shed in the backyard and it needs a little concrete apron at the double door.
Ya, not too bad. It's all a matter of making sure you have the correct water content in the mix.

I ended up doing half at a time to make sure it didn't start setting on me before I floated it. I probably ended up fussing with it more than I normally would but I wanted to make sure it was perfect so that the steps sit level without shimming them.

I also added 6, four foot sections of re-bar in it also to make sure it never moves. I also originally was going to dig footers, but the husband didn't think it was necessary as the steps are hollow and not nearly the weight of the original steps. That and I got 9 inches of compacted fill underneath the concrete so I should be good.

Eventually, when the wife decides on re-building the hitching ledges and decides on a block to use, then I'll dress up those pre-formed steps with the same block. She is already starting to finally imagine what the paver sidewalk is eventually going to look like and she is already talking about doing one of the ledges, but, I'm not pushing that until next season. It's already been a nightmare on the sidewalk.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Mownitdown, thanks for following my thread. I really didn't realize there are people paying close attention to the farm house job until you posted

gardens, I read every post....
Old 10-29-2009, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=White Gardens;3254059]

I need to find the data, but I wouldn't be surprised if we've had around 10 inches of rain or more for the month. That is absolutely ridiculous for the month of October. The harvest around here hasn't been this far behind since 1960's. The farmers are who I feel the most for right now.

Look at this link White Gardens, by tomorrow you and I will have probably had about 10 inches.
http://www.weather.com/weather/month...nav_undeclared

I know what you mean about the farmers. My dad and brother farm and they are having a bad time.

Also, wanted to let you know that I enjoy this thread. Keep up the good work.