Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Member

For those more familiar with florida grasses

WHat do you think is the most effective liquid fertizer? And Why?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

potassium nitrate......because it gives great root development without the uncontrollable top growth you get with AN.

Wait for Ric and see if he answers. You will get some good info if he does!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer View Post
potassium nitrate......because it gives great root development without the uncontrollable top growth you get with AN.

Wait for Ric and see if he answers. You will get some good info if he does!
Ric is still sleeping its chilly here this morning But I am sure he is going to say the answer will depend on grass type, season, soil conditions....and other factors.....so there is no way of giving a correct answer to a question with limited information about what exactly you want to fertilize. You may want that top growth if it is a recently scalped bermuda lawn in the spring after scalp, seed, top dress.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I will say the same thing. What is applied to a lawn is dependent on what type of grass, soil conditions, the time of year and desired effect. I maintain 5 different types of warm season grasses on 3 different basic soil conditions. There are two distinct seasons here as well. That is why I use an all liquid program. Potassium nitrate is good for grass. Provided the grass needs potassium. You also need to be aware that it can make the soil more alkaline. I view potassium nitrate as a K source, N comes from other carriers based on soil conditions. For example, in acid soils, ammonium sulfate is not a preferred N source. Calcium nitrate and or urea is better. The reverse is true in alkaline soils, ammonium sulfate often gives the best response on alkaline soils. Knowing all of this, I seek a balance between root growth and top growth. I am not impressed by the local monkeys that dump on 28-3-8 or massive amounts of 21-0-0 just because they need to show me up or outgreen me. I do not mow lawns, however I understand the consequences of pushing so much top growth that the grass is scalped at every mowing.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-30-2009, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I am sorry for not being more clear, whats best for st. augustine meaning liquid during this time of the year
Old 10-30-2009, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

sandy soil + rainy season + nitrate = not a good idea
Old 10-31-2009, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Ric is still sleeping its chilly here this morning But I am sure he is going to say the answer will depend on grass type, season, soil conditions....and other factors.....so there is no way of giving a correct answer to a question with limited information about what exactly you want to fertilize. You may want that top growth if it is a recently scalped bermuda lawn in the spring after scalp, seed, top dress.
Brian

You know me all Too Well. I don't move out of bed until after 9 am. I might get out the door to do some work by 11 am if I have a busy day. But this thread was started on my 69th Birthday and I have the right to be a lazy semi retired bum. BTW it was cold that day and of course I didn't go outside, it only got to 70 degrees that day.

igtgame

You still have not give the required information needed to give a proper answer. However if you read the replies already given you should find the correct answer. Look at the pH and soil profile.

I will only add it takes most turf 24 hours to up take 1/10 of a pound of Nitrogen. When applying Liquid Fertilizer to most soil profiles, Less fert applied at more intervals is better. This is why Slow Release granules are a better way to apply Fertilizer. However a Short shot of Liquid fert will help show a response.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.