Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2009, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I also added 6, four foot sections of re-bar in it also to make sure it never moves. I also originally was going to dig footers, but the husband didn't think it was necessary as the steps are hollow and not nearly the weight of the original steps. That and I got 9 inches of compacted fill underneath the concrete so I should be good.
I would have gone with the footings under the steps (just had to rebuild mine), Although mine were just sitting on an 8" slab. Hopefully yours will stay put!!
Old 10-30-2009, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, rain, rain and more rain. I slept in till 11 a.m. this morning. First time in months I've slept more than 6 hours in a night. I feel hungover but rested.

I was thinking about trying to have more base delivered, but they can't do it until Monday. I might go and try and haul in 2 tons at a time with my truck just to have enough material to work with on Sunday. But, we will see what happens. The material yard is ope till noon tomorrow and I can get what I need to finish in 3 or 4 loads. Sometimes I just need to be patient, and if the rain has done anything for me, is to be more patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
gardens, I read every post....
Awesome, thanks for following. Nice to know my writings have some substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdguth View Post

Look at this link White Gardens, by tomorrow you and I will have probably had about 10 inches.

I know what you mean about the farmers. My dad and brother farm and they are having a bad time.

Also, wanted to let you know that I enjoy this thread. Keep up the good work.
My dad still farms, and he is starting to freak a little, which is rare for him. The corn around here looks like it wicking up water from the soil through the stalks. The stalks looks soaked up to the ears. Can't be good. If the wind starts blowing it's all going to fall over from the soil being saturated also.

Thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatonpcat View Post
I would have gone with the footings under the steps (just had to rebuild mine), Although mine were just sitting on an 8" slab. Hopefully yours will stay put!!
He insisted that he didn't think it needed a footer. I probably should have just gone ahead and done it, but, he is the one I had to win over with my work to earn his trust, so I'll trust him on this one. The only good thing is that if it ever does move, I can just say I told you so.

If it were my house, I definitively would have put in footers. The only cancellation is that the hollow steps probably don't weigh more the 700 pounds, so it won't move or sink any time soon. I used some of the rip-rap from the steps to stabilize the soil, installed fabric under my fill, and put at least 9 inches of compacted base down, so it will be fine for probably 20 years or so.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, what do you know, it's actually not raining and looks like it is going to dry out.

Daylight savings time stinks. Looks like I'll be getting up at 5 a.m. for a few weeks. I like the mornings though as I can relax with the wife and kid still asleep.

Yesterday I hauled in 4 loads, approximately 8 tons of fill. That should be enough to finish my grade today. I did some checking yesterday and I've got one section I'm scratching my head about, but, I think I've figured it out.

I'll shoot some pics today if I can.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Glad that you're staying dry white gardens. What, you mean you don't like it getting dark at 5:00? I'm still light till about 6:00. I'll be looking forward to the pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Hey, what do you know, it's actually not raining and looks like it is going to dry out.

Daylight savings time stinks. Looks like I'll be getting up at 5 a.m. for a few weeks. I like the mornings though as I can relax with the wife and kid still asleep.

Yesterday I hauled in 4 loads, approximately 8 tons of fill. That should be enough to finish my grade today. I did some checking yesterday and I've got one section I'm scratching my head about, but, I think I've figured it out.

I'll shoot some pics today if I can.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I shot a couple of pics yesterday, I'll post them later. I'm taking an early lunch today. It actually feels like 12 p.m. . Gotta love daylight savings time.

This morning I set the steps and got a couple of scoops of base material down. At that point an older gentleman came to visit and parked right in my way of the machine. So, instead of waiting I came home for lunch.

I'm hoping to have the base finished by the end of the day.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Long Day

So I didn't get all my grade finished today only because I decided to set the steps this morning. I did get the finished grade on the east section (with the center island) up to the steps. That was the worst as I had to dump the mini into the wheel-barrow to get the rock out to that section. Unfortunately the tracks were tearing up my corners in my run, so I decided just to use the barrow.

All in all it went great, got a lot done and the rest of the grade should be done by noon tomorrow. After that I might take the afternoon to work on a cleanup.

The steps I couldn't be happier about. No shimming and I was within 1/16 of an inch below the molding of the door. As soon as I'm done with the project I plan on giving them a good power wash.

That Vermeer is such a useful engine.

Name:  Steps1a.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  155.2 KB

Perfectly level and centered.

Name:  steps2a.jpg
Size:  137.3 KB

Within a sixteenth of an inch of the bottom of the trim, and almost perfectly level.

Name:  steps3a.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  61.8 KB

I loaded the wheelbarrow where the mini is sitting in the pic.

Name:  steps4a.jpg
Size:  127.8 KB

Finished grade in the front of the house.

Name:  steps5a.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  139.0 KB

Old 11-02-2009, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Are the steps pitched forward a quarter bubble
Old 11-03-2009, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Are the steps pitched forward a quarter bubble
Yup. Actually just a little more than a quarter. Part of me wonders if the steps were formed with a pitch to them anyways. My pad had a little less than a quarter bubble and it's a little more than a quarter on the steps.

Regardless I walked up and down them a couple of times and they feel spot on.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So the sidewalks are going to be pavers correct? Why the old concrete steps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Yup. Actually just a little more than a quarter. Part of me wonders if the steps were formed with a pitch to them anyways. My pad had a little less than a quarter bubble and it's a little more than a quarter on the steps.

Regardless I walked up and down them a couple of times and they feel spot on.

good point, I bet your right on that