Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2009, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Dimmers

Hey David H,
Good to hear from you again...

The units are reliable...we have been supplying them for over three years and have only had a couple of failures...mostly of the human type. The units do well in harsh weather (e.g. Minnesota) but are not to be "soaked". We recommend that you use a weather proof cover if they will be exposed to wet conditions.

The dimmer is put in line between the transformer and the fixtures to be dimmed; not only does it act as a dimmer but also as a switch...you can dim the fixtures and also turn them off if you like. The dimmer is not to be used with electronic transformers, only magnetic types. These units are not designed for the primary (120v) side of your system either. In that case you are dealing with a totally different dimmer.

Rainman, the dimmer will have a impact on your lamps if they are continuously dimmed, we recommend that every week or so you run the system at full power to help reestablish the halogen cycle. Beyond that I have not heard of any other "maintenance" issues that are created by using these units.

Anyone needing further information please call me @ (800-609-1130).
CLVLT #0404
Old 10-19-2009, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

WE have found that mr16's last longer when dimmed. When I set up a dimmed system 100% is around 11.0 thru 11.5 I do have a few dimmed systems I know the clients never run them at 100% even tho I told them to. They like the effect around 50% with some soft jazz playing and a bottle of wine

I visited the client after about a year of the system running like this and noticed a slight color shift. A change in lamps confirmed this.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

I've used about a dozen of these in the last year and a half and they work great. A word of caution, they do get pretty warm.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinkler guy View Post
I've used about a dozen of these in the last year and a half and they work great. A word of caution, they do get pretty warm.
Most dimmers get warm to the touch. In our addition I am still building I have the dimmers without a wall plate yet and they get quite warm.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just an update. Got the Zane from Gerry at Terradek and it worked flawless. Wish there was a way to put a flip cover on em but other than that very simple and worked perfect.