Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2009, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Turf Tiger Drive Belt Problems!!

Hope some one can help. I have a Scag Turf Tiger with velocity 61" deck and 35 hp Briggs Vangard. I have run this mower for 3 years without problem, mowing my 10 acres at 2 to 3 inch. It would mow anything even really overgrown lawns without any excessive wear. Then I had it catch on fire. The gas line got wrapped around the drive shaft when a long palm leaf swung around and dragged it in. Luckily I was able to save most of it by dousing it with water nearby. The dealer saw the photos and contacted scag and between them repaired it with minimal cost to me. The gas line hanging like it did off the tank is clearly one of the very few design flaws that scag makes. It is now rerouted up trough the frame where it should have been in the first place.
BUT now that I have it back I am running into this problem with the drive belts. The belt that drives the drive shaft to the mower deck off of the clutch now wears down after one day of mowing. I thought that this was the high grass at first so I replaced it and then mowed the second time with the grass at a normal height. The belt burned up again. I replaced the idler pulley thinking it was a little sharp. I realigned the pulleys to be sure that wasn't it. I tightned the spring a little by moving it to the other position. The drive shaft seems to turn easily and is connected to a new gearbox with oil in it. The bearings are greased and joints greased. So I mowed again and for the Third time the belt burns up. And this time so does the belt that drives the hydrolic pumps. The mower cuts strong until the belt gets so worn that it starts slipping with the spring loose by then...about 7 hours into mowing. What on earth could be causing this????? Please help

Last edited by Maxjasper; 11-03-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Tags
belt tension problems , hydraulic , scag , turf tiger , ztr