Register free!

Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need estimate in middle to southern Indiana

Thought I would see if I could find someone on here first. We have a softball field that needs the bases and mound lasered and also new calcined clay. Basically redoing the whole field. Located in Linton, IN. It is the high school softball field. If anyone is interested in giving a quote, either e-mail me at brock.thuis.ctr@navy.mil or call me at 812-798-1569. Ask for Brock. Being a member on here for several years, I would rather give the business to another member.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It was good of you to try here first. I hope you find someone. I wish it was closer, that is something I would like to tackle. Do you have any photos of what you are starting with or can you describe the problem?

Here is a link to a softball field I worked on late last fall and finsihed this spring before the girls began playing. I don't have laser grading equipment. Used only a transit, tractor with small loader and rear mount tools, and a Toro Infield Pro. It held up well this spring and summer and drained as we hoped/expected.

It takes a heck of a lot of fill to make much of a change. this one took 90 tons and could have used a little more. Once you get it repaired you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Good luck.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Drainage is ver poor and the field is pretty old. Field is unlevel with a horrible lip on the outfield. Water stands pretty bad on it. It has no drainage tile. I am pretty sure the bases aren't lined up properly along with the pitching mound. Also, there is not enough room between home plate and the backstop which means the infield needs moved out further.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

foreplease, very nice work on that diamond.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you. Sounds like the distance to your backstop fence may be the excuse you need to get rid of the lip where it meets the outfield. What happens to your outfield fence distance if home plate is moved toward center field?

Drain tile under the infield dirt is not going to help. You need good surface drainage with, maybe, a tile starting where that sheds. Do you have any photos you can post?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll try to get some posted. We will have to move the outfield fence back too. It needs replaced anyway.