Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-03-2009, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atouchofnature View Post
Smallaxe is right. The best weed control is a thick, healthy lawn that is mowed high. You would get a better end result if you were to spend your weed control budget on quality seed, and use good cultural practices. Water infrequently and deeply, fertilize in the fall and restore the lawn's biological balance with compost topdressings and compost tea.

The problem is that the above mentioned methods do not provide instant results, and many of us have come to believe that if we don't see results instantly, then we wasted our money. I wish I had a dollar for every customer who has called me to complain that their lawn wasn't thick 1 week after seeding, or the weeds weren't dead 4 hours after spraying.

bavaria-n: If you are patient, and willing to wait a short while for results, maybe even have to live with a few weeds during the waiting, go with smallaxe's methods. If you are impatient, and hate weeds, then use pre-emergent herbicides. With smallaxe's recommendations, you will have to live with some weeds for a while, and minimal weeds after the lawn is in shape. With the chemical method, you will have to apply the chemicals from now until doomsday
I am very patient, but after reading “The Georgia Guidestones”I don’t know how much time I have…
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1
I wonder whose idea was this monument?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
See now I have to agree with Ric (kill me now). If you need to control weeds, then do it when they appear. "Just in case" applications of anything is an asinine practice IMO.
Kiril

Let me say I believe in a once a year Spring blanket spray on thinner lawns with a low rate broad leaf herbicide. This is to catch those broad leaf weeds before they get started. On my thick lawns I use post emerge only as needed. Depending on the lawn it might take two years to get it thick enough not to blanket spray in Spring.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Kiril

Let me say I believe in a once a year Spring blanket spray on thinner lawns with a low rate broad leaf herbicide. This is to catch those broad leaf weeds before they get started. On my thick lawns I use post emerge only as needed. Depending on the lawn it might take two years to get it thick enough not to blanket spray in Spring.
I don't support blanket applications under most circumstances. There are of course exceptions.

....... and I think you meant catch the weeds before they get established ... not started.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Smallaxe

So what is your point? Crab Grass will out compete turf because it is a fast growing annual.. ....
Not in Wisco...
Old 11-04-2009, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kiril

Before it gets Established or started what is the Difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Not in Wisco...
Smallaxe

I forget Wisconsin is almost part of Canada and has the same Ice Box climate. My high temp today was 83 while the low was 67. Our Crab Grass is growing great.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 11-05-2009, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Smallaxe

I forget Wisconsin is almost part of Canada and has the same Ice Box climate. My high temp today was 83 while the low was 67. Our Crab Grass is growing great.
For temps like that I would enjoy fighting the CG.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Kiril

Before it gets Established or started what is the Difference?
I read that as started growing (i.e. before germination).
Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I read that as started growing (i.e. before germination).
Yes Kiril

Established is a better word.

BTW Thank You for Nit Picking my post. You do that better than anyone on LS.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
For temps like that I would enjoy fighting the CG.
Smallaxe

Come on down the Weather is great and at my age my business is always for sale. I will even lend my Certification to the business as the CPOIC and train any one who has the money and interest.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Smallaxe

Come on down the Weather is great and at my age my business is always for sale. I will even lend my Certification to the business as the CPOIC and train any one who has the money and interest.
I could be a flunky on light duty for the winter months, but I wouldn't be able to even just supervise, in the summer months.

The last time I was in Florida during summertime all we could do was hang around in air-conditioned strip clubs. My funny friends didn't realize there was AC in other establishments as well.