Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2009, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

looks good... get rid of the pvc screeds and get some metal bars...dont use 2x4s as a screed bar there not true...you will see a big difference. But the job looks like its coming along great you have a good eye for detail
Old 11-08-2009, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatinmulchbeds View Post
looks good... get rid of the pvc screeds and get some metal bars...dont use 2x4s as a screed bar there not true...you will see a big difference. But the job looks like its coming along great you have a good eye for detail

Those are actually half inch metal conduit pipe. I almost went with 3/4 as they are stiffer, but the 1/2 inch is going to be easier to bend on my curves.

The Board actually has a strip of metal screwed on the bottom of it to make it true. You can't find a board that isn't warped anymore, and I don't have a table saw to true up a 2 by 4, so I used some scrap metal I had lying around and made sure it was a strait edge.

I'm definitively making sure all the details are correct. 90% of the time most HO's don't even notice some of the details, but what they do notice is how good their landscaping looks when done, so I know the details are being noticed as a whole.

Thanks for the post.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

oh ok couldnt tell from the pictures...looking forward to the finished product!
Old 11-08-2009, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatinmulchbeds View Post
oh ok couldnt tell from the pictures...looking forward to the finished product!
Ya, looking at the pics it looks like chintzy gray plastic PVC pipe. The two rails I'm using now are starting to get out of shape so they will be used for the curves and the other two I have now will be used for the strait sections unless they get out of shape too.

I was sketchy about using a combination of 3/4 rails and the 1/2. I didn't want the 1/4 inch variation if I used them in tandem, so I'm sticking with the 1/2.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

not bad looking.
Some advice?....
Before you put your edging down scrapet he sand away so the edging sits on your base.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurkn with amish View Post
not bad looking.
Some advice?....
Before you put your edging down scrapet he sand away so the edging sits on your base.
Ya, I was actually thinking if I should do that or not. I think I'm O.K. with what I've installed so far as my bedding sand has dome decent sized particles up to 1/4 inch so I feel I'm not going to have problems with it eroding away sitting on top of the sand.

I have been pulling away sand on the edging I installed today and I noticed it helped to get the edging a little lower against the pavers.

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Luckily It didn't rain last night, but there might be a chance for a light shower this morning. It's all around us but we're still dry.

Didn't take any pics yesterday, I was too busy. Luckily my neighbor came to help a little yesterday. He moved some bricks for me so I could just keep laying them. He keeps refusing payment whenever he helps me with stuff, so I might just have to give his twins a savings bond or something when they arrive in 8 months. He keeps telling me that I help him out too so it evens out.

I definitively pacing my self. Even with knee pads, I still want to stand up constantly to stretch. This job has all the sudden made me feel a little older. I'm moving along O.K. but I feel it needs to be quicker. I just hold myself to some high production standards, but this job is showing me that I need to be careful.

My neighbor asked me " I can't believe sometimes how can you do all this yourself ". I just told that I love to work and work hard, and it's easier to motivate myself rather than trying to motivate employees.

Next time on a big project like this I plan on hiring someone at least through a temp agency at the minimum to get through faster. Too bad it had to rain as much as it did during this project. The plan was to work off half the pallets by hand and then use the mini to move the pallets around to the farthest sections. I just couldn't be as efficient as I wanted to. Next year I will be buying a machine, that is going to be a must if I plan on growing as a biz.

Hopefully it doesn't rain too much if at all this morning. I plan on having pavers laid to the front steps by the end of the day so I can get the poly in a compacted, that way I'll have it sealed up in case we get another stretch of rain before I finish. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully more pics tonight.

Last edited by White Gardens; 11-10-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, home for lunch and we are getting a light rain. Nothing major, I might actually take the oportunity to go back out there and clean up a little. I have a few stakes, empty pallets, etc.....

My neighbor helped again today. Just showed up, so it was a very pleasant unexpected surprise. He moved bricks again for me and that is just awesome.

I mainly took the morning to finish to the edge next to the driveway and installing more restraint. I also had a couple of low spots or "dips" in the path that I wanted to correct. My neighbor thought I was nuts and being too picky about it, but I told him I couldn't stand it and needed to fix it.

So far I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out.

Name:  paver6.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  paver7.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  185.0 KB

Old 11-10-2009, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So, What do you guys think so far ???

Old 11-10-2009, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

looks great.

are you going to be landscaping the rest of the area around the house or just doing the sidewalks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!