Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2002, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

BMF 9000 ponds

I got one of the Aquascapes pieces of literature in the mail recently, and it showed snapshots of the progression of Greg Wittstock's 'pond', covering 1.5 acres, if I remember correctly.

How do you keep a pond that size full of water? I've used the auto-fill valves that come in kits, but a pond this size would need much more water, I would think. Do you have to tap a well just for the pond? Steal from the nearest hydrant from time to time?

Thanks for any insight.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:04 AM

Keeping it filled really isn't a problem. Nature does most of that for us. Just like a natural large pond, the rain fills it up. The bigger problem was filling the pond for the first time. Where the pond is at, they don't even have hydrants to tap into.

We had to drill a well (mainly for the house) and fill it from that. I think it took about a week and a half to fill the entire pond. Not only that, the first well collapsed. We had to drill another one to finish it and have water for the house.

The pond is pretty self-sufficient. What with the 2.5 foot catfish eating the debris at the bottom and the carp and bluegill eating the stuff on the top, you don't have to do anything to it.

Conor
www.aquascapedesigns.com
Come see the new Aquascape Pond Community
www.aquascapedesigns.com/messageboard
Old 06-28-2002, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So it does still take a little man-made help to keep in filled?

The reason I ask is, it's just an idea right now, but our next house will have a little acreage, and I plan to build a pond I can swim in. Certainly not as big as the one featured in your literature, but big enough for a family to enjoy (dogs, too).
Old 12-05-2002, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Stone,

If the designer knows what they are doing, the pond can utilize the runoff from the surrounding land to maintain the pond level during the dry seasons. You are in an area that requires about a 10 : 1 watershed to pond surface ratio to maintain your water elevation.

ponds