Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2009, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I meant to say 5 feet or 15 square feet, not 30 square.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So, Oh So Tired.....

I really wanted to have my pavers finished today, but couldn't quite manage it. I'm spent.

Hopefully I can get the pavers in, cut, compacted, filled and compacted by 10 p.m. tomorrow evening.

The forecast looks horrible and I need to push to get done.

Name:  paver12.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  276.1 KB

Name:  paver13.jpg
Size:  259.9 KB

Name:  paver14.jpg
Size:  246.4 KB

Old 11-14-2009, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Thanks Stihl Guy and anyone else with the positive remarks,

It's been one of those years where I wonder what the heck I'm doing. Having some positive reinforcement helps to keep me looking forward instead of quitting all together.

Lots of competition around here, hopefully I'll be able to get a better foothold in the biz next year.
I like your work, I am not much for the grunt work that landscaping involves (I more into maintenance) but I have a nice yard to work with and any ideas that I can glean from you pros will help. I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to get about 500 street bricks from my home town in Kansas and want to put them to good use. Thanks David
Old 11-14-2009, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J & D Greens View Post
I like your work, I am not much for the grunt work that landscaping involves (I more into maintenance) but I have a nice yard to work with and any ideas that I can glean from you pros will help. I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to get about 500 street bricks from my home town in Kansas and want to put them to good use. Thanks David
Street Bricks are a bear to work with. Big, heavy, and usually not square.

But Luckily you only have 500 or so. That shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for the compliments. I hope you get some good inspiration from me and some of the other quality scapers on lawnsite. Chestnut Oak Pres has some great stuff and do a search on Jim Lewis, he has posted some great work too.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pavers Are Done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over 6000 bricks laid. No pics tonight though as I was wetting down the poly sand by floodlight. I will have pics tomorrow evening.

The circle bed turned out awesome. Can't wait to post the pics on that section.

The only issue I had with the poly was with the fact that some of my pavers were "sweating". I had noticed on some of the pallets had been saturated with water when they were in shipment and never truly dried out over the last seven days. Even a couple of sections I got done early on still had a handful of pavers that were still wet. If you look in some of the pics that I have already posted, you can actually see those bricks.

The circle was the worst. The light colored bricks seemed to be the ones that had the most issues, and of course I got done laying the bricks in the circle about 1 p.m. so ultimately they didn't have enough time to dry.

We were able to peel it off fairly easily and I can use a putty knife to clean up the worst of the pavers. Luckily, there seems to be a pretty good finish on the pavers and they didn't seem like they were staining at all from the brown poly.

Pics Tomorrow

Old 11-14-2009, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Street Bricks are a bear to work with. Big, heavy, and usually not square.

But Luckily you only have 500 or so. That shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for the compliments. I hope you get some good inspiration from me and some of the other quality scapers on lawnsite. Chestnut Oak Pres has some great stuff and do a search on Jim Lewis, he has posted some great work too.
The brick cost little to nothing 10 cents each, so while I'm out there visiting I grab 200 or so bricks, (picking them out of the dump site), so I can be sorta choosy. I hope to do some work as soon as cleanup work is finished this season. I can't wait to see you currant project. Later David
Old 11-15-2009, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd like to thank, well, everyone for all their support !!!!!!!

So glad the pavers are done. I can't describe the relief that has washed over me.

I'll say, I've been feeling pretty cocky the last 24 hours. I've gone from being modest about my work to a real sense of accomplishment in my work.

I've had to be careful though, if I have too much pride it will turn into an inflated ego, and I've had to keep "checking" myself occaisionally.

All in all, I'm very happy in the work I've just done. I never really "hype" anything I do, but I'm hyping this one up.

Now, hopefully the Gods aren't mad at me and I can get a stretch of 3 days to dry it back out and finish the dirt work and landscaping.

Even though it has rained a lot through this project, I still feel lucky to get the pavers finished before any major disasters keep me from getting it done this fall.

Name:  Paver20.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  225.2 KB

Name:  Paver21.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  171.9 KB

Name:  Paver22.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  173.8 KB

Name:  Paver23.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  193.2 KB

Old 11-15-2009, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Last pics.

Name:  Paver24.jpg
Size:  231.1 KB

Name:  paver25.jpg
Size:  193.0 KB

Name:  paver26.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  153.4 KB

Name:  paver27.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  176.7 KB

Old 11-15-2009, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like the stone choice. I know you where leaning between 2, but I'm not going through 27 pages to figure out which one it is. There is a lot of real old clay brick walks around here. Otherwise the 2 things I notice are it looks like in a few areas your edge is on top of the sand? Seems real close to the top edge of the stone. Other is your base needs to be wider than your walk. If you are installing an 8" base you need the base to go 8" past the outside edge of your edging. I'm never crazy on those patterns, but I like the way you handled the inside flare around the circle. I'm sure the owners are happy.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

looks great!....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!