Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-10-2009, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Vista Warranty Question

Called out to an existing job at a comm'l condo complex. Unique transformers powering Vista copper pathway lights. All transformers outputting 12.5 +/- volts at the transformers on the 12 volt tap and 12.1 to 12.2 volts at the fixtures checked with 20 watt lamp installed. So slightly on the warm side. All of the Vista plastic lens' fried/melted. Anybody know if Vista changed they're lens' to glass and if this may be a warranty? System is about 5 years young.
Thanks all.

Steve
www.lettherebelightllc.com
Old 11-11-2009, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Call your local rep and ask. Vista has always been pretty good with me in the past.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 11-11-2009, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let There Be Light View Post
Called out to an existing job at a comm'l condo complex. Unique transformers powering Vista copper pathway lights. All transformers outputting 12.5 +/- volts at the transformers on the 12 volt tap and 12.1 to 12.2 volts at the fixtures checked with 20 watt lamp installed. So slightly on the warm side. All of the Vista plastic lens' fried/melted. Anybody know if Vista changed they're lens' to glass and if this may be a warranty? System is about 5 years young.
Thanks all.

Steve
Vista has always been good with warranty issues in my experience. I don't know if it's the company or my local rep, Mike M., but they've always made it right .

I think they are using (were using?) Lexan lenses... but that seems to be the symptom rather than the problem.

(BTW, didn't FX go to Lexan sometime recently?)

I can't tell you how many times I've gone on service calls and run across burnt out lamps coupled with higher output transformers used incorrectly. (Though only about a half dozen in the last two years.)

Finding 14 VAC at a fixture coming off a 17 VAC post at the TF isn't uncommon...

Too many installers out there that either don't know how, or don't give a damn.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post

I can't tell you how many times I've gone on service calls and run across burnt out lamps coupled with higher output transformers used incorrectly. (Though only about a half dozen in the last two years.)

Finding 14 VAC at a fixture coming off a 17 VAC post at the TF isn't uncommon...

Too many installers out there that either don't know how, or don't give a damn.
I couldnt agree more. Most service calls involve improper voltage at fixture. Jack of all trades is usually the culprit.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I stand corrected. Upon further evaluation, turns out the fixtures in question are Unique, not Vista.(my apologies to Vista) Called the Unique rep and they are replacing the lens' for free and they are now glass vs plastic. I will then use ZANE low voltage dimmers to turn down the voltage to the lamps. Here in AZ, this is the typical issue that we see everyday and as my friends say, "job security" Let the landscape companies continue to do lousy installs and in a couple of years we will repair. Nothing like doing it twice or more )

Thanks all

Steve
Old 11-16-2009, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Since your trans is a bit hot anyways why not just put a 120v dimmer on the primary or even use a regulator to drop that 12.5 to 11.5 output ?

Your close on volts. Are you sure it wasnt designed with 35w lamps planned ?

People will play with the zane ??? You also didnt mention your primary volts loaded and unloaded.

I have had to install dimmers on the primary before to compensate for a high incoming voltage.

Last edited by Pro-Scapes; 11-16-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Regarding high primary side voltage. Remember that if you use UPB controls, the switch/dimmer modules will generally reduce primary side voltage by 1 to 3 volts (in my experience)

When you are splitting hairs on voltage inputs & outputs it is important to understand the effects that any control components will have on the system.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 11-18-2009, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the comments. Will use the stand alone Zane (without cover plate) inside a locked transformer case. There was never any "planning" here as is many of the jobs in AZ. I call it job security. Many people end up doing their systems 2 and 3 times over. Fisrt the owner thinks he can do it, then after the plastic metls here in the heat, they hire Joe landscaping company and basically what happens is a Mexican crew is dropped off and told to "install" and nobody ever does the math and typically the lowest quality is installed. Perfect for us guys. Once they get to us, it's the last stop for sure.

Happy Thanksgiving...

Steve