Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2009, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

How would you do this?

I am fairly new to this so bear with me please. I am doin my biggest job yet and I need to uplight the stone columns on the inside of a covered patio. My question is how would you conceal the wire from these fixtures on the outside wall shown here? Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2009, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Trim Kit

Perry,
There is a product called the I3 Post Hugger Trim Kit that is being used for this type of situation. I can send you a sample of the seven colors that it comes in so that you can match to material color. The post hugger material comes in 6ft lenghts (4 to a kit). We recommend this whenever exposed wire is an issue.Give me a call at 1-800-609-1130 or pm me so that I can send you the sample.
CLVLT #0404
Old 11-19-2009, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gerry please send me a color sample. And prices... Thank you
Old 11-19-2009, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a big long box sitting in front of the office with some post hugger in it I assume Gerry ? Have not opened it yet. Forgot to ask the price too but I think I will find that out in a few.

Perry before I would answer or go with a plastic wire hiding type of thing I want to know whats above there. Your picture is incomplete and I also might consider downlighting them vs uplighting them. We need a wider pic and a pic of the inside and outside.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Forget the uplighting. People will be walking right next to those fixtures and being blasted in the eyes will not be well thought of. Start thinking about recessed LV cans placed inside to downlight the columns. You will still get the grazing effect and you will also get more light down on the floor which help bring out the railing details better. This will also eliminate direct glare. surely there are some cans already inside or a ceiling fan you can draw power from and probably still keep it on the same switch leg. Just my opinion. Always keep the installation clean.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 11-20-2009, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am with Tim on this.

If you MUST uplight the inside of the columns, then I would core a stepped in-grade well light (like the Vista 52xx series) into the patio decking and use a clip and glare louver on the lamp to cut down line of sight to the lamp. This way all the wiring would be done beneath the decking and out of sight. By selecting a grated cover on the well light you will also reduce line of sight to the lamp.

When I need to cover exposed wire, I opt for milling covers out of cedar or using 1/2" dia copper pipe/tube. But this is not your best option for this application.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA