Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2009, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Green View Post
So what did the owner say when you told him there was a grave yard on his property?
He said they told him it was on the property but he didnt know where it was located but it was a surprise to me.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnH View Post
He said they told him it was on the property but he didnt know where it was located but it was a surprise to me.
supposedly we have two graves on our property but they are unmarked. I don't know if it's true or not. My neighbor has a family cemetary, however. Our property wasn't ever used for much so I think it's just a rumor. If I ever found them, I'd fix it up as I hate to see any grave sites in poor repair.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 11-22-2009, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnH View Post
Dieselnut I really dont have a good response for you other than I am happy with the frame and the ride quality of the 289.

ARP we went with the 289 over the more powerful 299 due to the 299 having overheating problems in a mulching application. I heard they even had a few of them catch on fire.

The G2 mulching head is good and gets the job done. Its a step up from the Timber Ax I was running. I would guess its equal to the head your running. I would have really liked to have gotten the new Trushhog after demoing it for a day that thing was amzing but the best price we could get on it was 29k and it was listed for around 33k.
Nice pics. That grave stone is really cool.

The 289C and 299C share the exact same cooling system (radiator, cooler, hydraulic tank, etc.) They also have the same 3.3L Mitsubishi engine, other than the injector and the aftercooler on the 299C so I would expect both of them to have the same cooling capacity. The XPS high flow system is identical too and the 299C would actually run the attachment a bit better due to more engine torque and hp. Nice looking machine.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Additional info. They changed the pumps on the new 9 series with the new steel undercarriage and it altered how they mulch. I am still trying to get details but was told they went down on the inpliment pump size. I have run many 7 series and 9 series and the 7's perform better, so what I was told makes sense. The new undercarriage just takes more hyd power to run and with limited hp that is not good.
Head choice is yours, but if your ready for production I can suggest a monster. But you have to make money with what you have.
Nice work though. Sucks you loose as much time as you have. That seriously affects your bottom dollar!!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCsouth View Post
Additional info. They changed the pumps on the new 9 series with the new steel undercarriage and it altered how they mulch. I am still trying to get details but was told they went down on the inpliment pump size. I have run many 7 series and 9 series and the 7's perform better, so what I was told makes sense. The new undercarriage just takes more hyd power to run and with limited hp that is not good.
Head choice is yours, but if your ready for production I can suggest a monster. But you have to make money with what you have.
Nice work though. Sucks you loose as much time as you have. That seriously affects your bottom dollar!!
Someone gave you bad information. The 287/289/297/299 all use the same exact XPS pumps, hyd. reservoirs, oil coolers, etc. The 297/299 are different because they have an aftercooler.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I knew some of the info I recieved was wrong because I did know all the high flows were the same. My tune for the heads for all the above is basiclly the same. Know when you run them the 9's do run different because of the track difference. They came out and checked one in the field and good grief at all the computer test they ran. They are as bad as cars these days.
Bleed, have you seen how some dealers are cutting the rear doors and adding vents in them. That has helped some Cat's I have seen with cooling problems.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=DCsouth;3292213]Thanks for the reply. I knew some of the info I recieved was wrong because I did know all the high flows were the same.

No sweat. I've heard CAT salesmen tell me that the 299C is an entirely diffrent machine than the 297C and the 272C. Just like a Deere salesman told me that their CTL undercarriage was designed by their engineers. He was a bit shocked when I informed him that Komatsu was actually running that Italian Berco undercarriage in Europe for more than a year before they launched their CTLs. I always say...trust, but verify.

Know when you run them the 9's do run different because of the track difference.

True. More machine weight=more hp needed for smae amount of work.

They came out and checked one in the field and good grief at all the computer test they ran. They are as bad as cars these days.

I think this is the norm in the near future due to Tier III and electronic engines. I actually think it's a good thing because it give OEMs, dealers and customers much more flexibility to adjust a machine for specific needs.

/QUOTE]

I'm sure that there will be some bugs on everyone's machines with all this new electronic technology, but it will be a big positive.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Something I did remember. The cooling fans on these tractors are hyd driven, computer controlled. You can go into the settings with the laptop they use and set the fan to run on high all the time. For those in climates where that would be beneficial.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Bleed, have you seen how some dealers are cutting the rear doors and adding vents in them. That has helped some Cat's I have seen with cooling problems.
I was told by the CAT mechanic last time I was in that the cut rear doors is part of the forestry package but I think I have only seen that done on the 297 and 299.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Something I did remember. The cooling fans on these tractors are hyd driven, computer controlled. You can go into the settings with the laptop they use and set the fan to run on high all the time. For those in climates where that would be beneficial.
Another mod is to have the fans change directions every so often to help blow some of the dust out of the coolers.