Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-28-2000, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My cousin has just decided that he is going to join the lawn mowing industry. I know what you're thinkin', good for him. Yeah, that's fine, but he's making his business cards on my computer, telling me he's going to thrash me by charging real cheap and a whole bunch of other crap. He says he's using my computer because he doesn't have a program to do biz cards. I said too bad. He thinks he can start right now, nearly the end of the season here. He says he can do everything I do, plus more like weeding. I don't know how many of you weed flower beds and stuff but I don't have time because I work at night and it just wouldn't work. What do you guys think I should do? Let him run his biz at my house or tell him he can't do anything at my house. I mean, I don't want to help him at all because this is my first season and I don't have that many jobs and don't want to loose any more to anybody. He already stole my grandparents lawn from me, what next? I guess we'll see who gets thrashed next year, or even this year.
Old 07-28-2000, 09:28 PM

Don't aid the enemy in anyway.
Old 07-28-2000, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

What I want to know is what's up with your grandparents? And what's up with your cousin? He's got a nerve competing with your clients in the first place, let alone competing with family - for family....and then to have a further nerve to ask the use of your business tools to help him screw you! Simple: slash his tires.
Old 07-28-2000, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

SCAG<br>just relax!!!! the chance that he will keep up all the hard work is slim,you know yourself this work is not for every one.<br>sounds like he's just trying to get you mad.<br>help him all you can and wish him well,you are family.there are lots of lawns out there.
Old 07-28-2000, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dennis-I know you mean well and you are right, this biz is not for everyone. He is a good worker but not hard enough to do what I do in a week (only 8 lawns and 1 21&quot; w/b). What I don't get is that he said in the spring when I told him I was mowing, he thought it what ******ed. Now he turns around and does it. I don't want to make him mad otherwise he will tell he mommy. My sis said he could use my computer to do his cards and fliers, I said no 2 days ago and he was here againg today. I think my grandparents wanted to fire me so he could get some money because he blows his money on some of the dumbest sh!t. I just don't get it!
Old 07-28-2000, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

skag--I don't need to tell you but you got a problem. In the way this guy is dealing with you it's like you got a rogue brother-in-law. we're talking about the kind of guy you don't need to go deer hunting with. I wont go into specifics here, but if you don't undestand what I'm saying, ask someone that is older.<p>good luck and hang in there!<p>GEO
Old 07-29-2000, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

my advice is if he wants to start a biz then go for it. 1st off that includes GET YOUR OWN OFFICE YOU LAZY MOOCH! All advice on how to do anything should cease RIGHT NOW. Let him figure things by himself, & don't tell him about all the free advice here. This industry is not for fly-by-night kids who will change their mind every 3 days. Stay sure & steady; he will likely go gangbusters & work for free & say 'man this sucks, I don't like working this hard', or when his interest putters out, you'll still be going strong, like the tortoise & the hare.<br>Also tell your customers that &quot;someone&quot; may call to try & cutthroat prices to steal work from you. Tell them how low low price usually = low quality. Best advice is don't watch him, concentrate on bustin your butt & keepin things rolling for you.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 07-29-2000, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the advice guys. I have heard alot about the &quot;cut-throat&quot; and have considered that being done to me. The other thing that really makes me mad is my biz name is Chelan Valley Mowing and he claims his is supposed to be Lake Chelan Mowing. He took half of my name! His biz card says in big letters at the top &quot;cheap prices&quot;. He's gonna turn out to be a lowballer for sure if he doesn't straighten up. He thinks he knows how to do everything right at the start. He tried to convince me that trimming and edging was the same thing. I don't mean harm to him but if he wants his biz he'll leave my accounts alone, stay off my computer, and figure stuff out the hard way, like I did. He only lives next door and could come over when I'm not at home and get into my billing and stuff. I'm sure my sis wouldn't mind showing him what I charge and stuff. If is here again on my computer or at my house trying to get anything to help him I'm going kick his @$$ out. Don't won't to make him too mad though. I knew what it was like startin' out. At least I wasn't doin' what he's doing.
Old 07-29-2000, 04:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

SCAG48, I've been following your posts, laughed at times, but I'm proud of your dedication and think your going to do really good someday in the business. A couple of things from your first post on this thread.<p>1) THIS IS NOT A LAWN MOWING INDUSTRY!!!!<br>That statement put you apart from a professional that contributes to the GREEN INDUSTRY or the GROUNDS MAINTENANCE PROFESSION.<p>2) I also hope I don't insult you with this one, but I think a family psychiatrist wouldn't be a bad idea!! Something's wrong when Grandma fires her 13 year old grandson cause his cousin lowballed him!!! <p>Advise with your cousin: Your right, he doesn't have the right idea in business, especially if he put cheap prices on top of his business cards. If he had a little better sense I'd tell you to team up with him. If you can straighten him out some, I think you guys could do better together concentrating on the customers, then concentrating on beating each other. You have some issues though man!! Sorry! <p>Hope everything works out for you!!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 07-29-2000, 03:47 PM
snow

hey scag- does your cousin also share that 21&quot; mower? along with your customers? first of all why do you act like this is a big deal. you don't even have your own mower, you have to borrow one! if you provided more services than just cutting w/ your toro you probably won't loose anyone. but since you only cut lawns and don't do any special services, why wouldn't they fire you and hire your cousin?<p>bryan