Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2009, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

my dealer is 70 miles one way. It's tough to get in for repairs without scheduling a full day off plus leaving the machine for a few days for a big repair. I have to utilize the service truck more than I like to but it saves me fuel and time heading into town. When I am under warranty, the service truck calls are covered.. makes me wish I got my extended warranty like I used to. It paid for itself every time.
Convenience and dealer support is important when choosing a machine when all else is equal. I have seen some great deals on machines in the past but there was no dealer support for them in this area. Since I'm not a mechanic by trade, it makes more sense to go with a machine that I know I can get parts and service for quickly. I am seeing more Taks in my neck of the woods working in creek beds and being towed to who knows where. It's rocky here so they must be tough.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 11-27-2009, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our dealer is 20 min. away. But we quit going to them, for a number of reasons. Took a reference from another contractor for a private mechanic. Its been working out so far.

It used to be very important that the dealer was close, but not anymore. I think these guys have been riding on their name for too long. I will try out a Takkie, or similar in a heartbeat.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The dealers here are mostly 20-30 miles away tops, the furthest is the ASV dealer but even that is only an hour away. I usually bring my stuff in for a spring check up/service and then unless it is an emergency deal that's it.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hanau is easy to pronounce, the au is an ow sound.

Takeuchi is hard to spell and I can't wrap my German tongue around it.

They are very nice machines, I will give them that.

Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Once upon a time, there was a lonely oxygen atom. The oxygen atom met two little hydrogen atoms, and suggested they try a threesome. They did, and everybody got wet. The end.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerotor77W View Post
Maybe Cat should have done something there instead of with a certain three-letter manufacturer? :P

(kidding... just adding fuel to the fire)
It's a good question....I know that Mustang and Gehl are not the most popular brands for SSLs, but you'd have to think they would have set the world on fire with the rebranded TAKs through their broader dealer network. Same exact machines except for a lower cab.

I've often wondered how much of a true representation those of us that regularly post on this forum (about a dozen regular posters) are in the national market. Everyone glows about the Takeuchi, generally craps on the CAT MTLs, dogs ASVs, is indifferent to the CASE and NH machines and offers mixed reviews of the Bobcat's and Deere's. Yet Bobcat and CAT are clear leaders regarding marketshare for rubber tracked machines.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanau View Post
Hanau is easy to pronounce, the au is an ow sound.

Takeuchi is hard to spell and I can't wrap my German tongue around it.

They are very nice machines, I will give them that.
The beauty of the Takeuchi name is you can pronounce it any way you want, who knows the real or proper way?
Old 11-27-2009, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Lets face it, Japanese manufacturing is light years ahead of us, that's one of the reason I am defecting to Takeuchi (TAKA-HOOCHI, there you go Hanau).
Funny, that's not how they pronounce it on their YouTube videos. They pronounce it TOK-EE-OOCHI.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
It's a good question....I know that Mustang and Gehl are not the most popular brands for SSLs, but you'd have to think they would have set the world on fire with the rebranded TAKs through their broader dealer network. Same exact machines except for a lower cab.

I've often wondered how much of a true representation those of us that regularly post on this forum (about a dozen regular posters) are in the national market. Everyone glows about the Takeuchi, generally craps on the CAT MTLs, dogs ASVs, is indifferent to the CASE and NH machines and offers mixed reviews of the Bobcat's and Deere's. Yet Bobcat and CAT are clear leaders regarding marketshare for rubber tracked machines.
Yeah, this is definitely true stuff. For as much as Cat's machines stink at performance, they've definitely made a place in the market for themselves (national/continental figures, not individual figures). That being said, I still don't think there's a HUGE difference among any two machines. For most, any machine will probably get the job done in about the same amount of time. Personal preference, of course, will impact the decision, but from a purely practical ("Is the machine capable of doing a general job"), I'd say the field is a lot more even now than it was fifteen years ago.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerotor77W View Post
Yeah, this is definitely true stuff. For as much as Cat's machines stink at performance, they've definitely made a place in the market for themselves (national/continental figures, not individual figures). That being said, I still don't think there's a HUGE difference among any two machines. For most, any machine will probably get the job done in about the same amount of time. Personal preference, of course, will impact the decision, but from a purely practical ("Is the machine capable of doing a general job"), I'd say the field is a lot more even now than it was fifteen years ago.
I agree. Machines are much more even.

I bet if you polled the masses you would find the primary job of a Skid Steer is moving loose material/ objects like pallets of material.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
My dealer is 1 and 1/2 hours away maybe more with traffic.

I just do not understand this need for people to have quick access to your dealer? Do people go by there dealer often and if so why?
I'm not sure either. Mines less than 30 minutes away. I think I've gone there twice this year for stuff, nothing keeping the machine from working.

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall