Register free!

Old 11-15-2009, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just a few we use
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2009, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Howeird, How weird, You are the man!!!!!! In Oklahoma they use that kind of equipt. on road rite of ways. I may have to take off my FEL to avoid the high center of gravity, but should I add fluid to the tires?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just in the front tires it just serve as front weight.also think about duals on rear..one slope you said is about 100 yds long and about 50ft wide but how many slopes are there.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

6 or 7 ditches and retenchen ponds. I liked the idea of a 50 or 60 inch walk behind too. I ran those old Gravelys when I was in highschool 1965. I am sure there is some way to find out what the other guys have been using too, but I do not want to let them know about the new bidder. lol
Old 11-27-2009, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Member

What kind of grass/conditions are you mowing? I would invest in a hydro walkbehind mainly because it has other uses. If its rightofway, or the look doesnt have to be perfect, you can use a brushcat (essentially a bobcat with a brushhog on front) I've mowed some steep stuff with those and they work great and get the job done. Best part is you can rent them (T300 preferably but a t200 works) for a couple hundred so no need to make expensive purchase.

Note: With the brushcat you would be mowing sideways
Old 11-27-2009, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I only need to mow them once per month, so a guy told me the walkbehind would not mow the taller grass well. Is that so? The track Bobcat skidsteers would be great if nothing else would work.. Grass is mostly bermuda.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

You may be able to use a walkbehind depending on growth rate, conditions (water/sun/etc) and of course cutting height. The problem with the walkbehind that i didnt think abotu before, is that if its high and wet (even with a heavy dew) you may have slipping issue. Bobcat also makes a flail cutter which provides a finer cut but I prefer the brushcat due to weight/helps stabilize bobcat

Let me caution you (you may already know this but...) you should already be proficient in using a bobcat and I'd suggest mowing a field/small slopes with the brushcat to get the feel of it. You also have to keep the brushcat pointed up hill and turn up hill/back down the hill. If you point the brushcat down hill its very hard to get it facing back up.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cutting bermuda, once per month, would be tough for anything out there.

If you have the time, cut it every ten days (it will look 500x better than once a month and could be done with a 50-60+ inch walk-behind mower). You did mention they aren't happy with the current lawn care provider or the look of the slopes when they finish the job right now. Only way to get a much improved look is to mow more frequently.

Another consideration for the walk-behind is that you can double up on the rear wheels/tires to maintain better control. Just requires long hub wheel studs to get it done.