Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-26-2009, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanau View Post
Go to your gas meter with a small trowel. Scrape away enough dirt to expose the PVC coming out of the ground. What diameter is it? That will dictate trench size.
Its like 3/4 of an inch max. Small little guy.....
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-26-2009, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's that small they may use a trencher instead of an excavator.

Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Once upon a time, there was a lonely oxygen atom. The oxygen atom met two little hydrogen atoms, and suggested they try a threesome. They did, and everybody got wet. The end.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I have done gas line work off and on for over 30 years, have had this very same scenario many times. It all depends on the company/crew doing the actual work. The company I have worked for strives for customer satisfaction and top quality workmanship. If we were doing the job, the main bellhole would be dug with a Ditchwitch backhoe/plow combo and the service line bored, if possible. A lot of the backfill would be done by hand. Sod would be replaced and, most importantly, soil from excavation would be tamped in place with very little soil leftover. Service lines are usually 5/8" or 1" PE depending on overall length.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by morlawn View Post
I have done gas line work off and on for over 30 years, have had this very same scenario many times. It all depends on the company/crew doing the actual work. The company I have worked for strives for customer satisfaction and top quality workmanship. If we were doing the job, the main bellhole would be dug with a Ditchwitch backhoe/plow combo and the service line bored, if possible. A lot of the backfill would be done by hand. Sod would be replaced and, most importantly, soil from excavation would be tamped in place with very little soil leftover. Service lines are usually 5/8" or 1" PE depending on overall length.
That gives me some insight, thanks. Assuming the co. that does the work on my prop 'strives' for cust service (remains to be seen), how wide of swath of my lawn will they tear up in your opinion? I think I am going to rent a manual sod cutter and roll the sod away, and simply roll back on after they are gone. May or may not 'take' this time of year, but at least my lawn will not be an eyesore until permanent snowcover arrives...
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

Old 11-27-2009, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

This is a very subjective thing to guess on. It depends on the crew foreman's desire to spare your lawn, and their available equipment. Minimum sized bell hole at the main (as marked by the locators) would be 2' wide and 5' long, with 1 foot on the back side of the main, 4 foot toward direction of new service. A saddle or tee is fused or welded on existing main. Contractor (or campany) then would bore, plow or trench new service away from (or up to) this hole. Sometimes the locates are off or the main had fill placed over it, and is deep, hence, a larger hole. Things could go real well (hopefully) or they can turn into a small disaster. Frost chunks in the backfill will cause future settlement problems. Don't remove the main locates when you strip your sod, as this will usually make the crew mad. Hopefully, this helps out, but this is a pretty general answer.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by morlawn View Post
This is a very subjective thing to guess on. It depends on the crew foreman's desire to spare your lawn, and their available equipment. Minimum sized bell hole at the main (as marked by the locators) would be 2' wide and 5' long, with 1 foot on the back side of the main, 4 foot toward direction of new service. A saddle or tee is fused or welded on existing main. Contractor (or campany) then would bore, plow or trench new service away from (or up to) this hole. Sometimes the locates are off or the main had fill placed over it, and is deep, hence, a larger hole. Things could go real well (hopefully) or they can turn into a small disaster. Frost chunks in the backfill will cause future settlement problems. Don't remove the main locates when you strip your sod, as this will usually make the crew mad. Hopefully, this helps out, but this is a pretty general answer.
Thanks. I will just take a cutter and take off a 2-3 feet of sod lengthwise to the street. I believe they would trench in the line, I am not sure though. To me, to save some real nice sod is worth it, even if to just cover until next season.

Don't worry, I won't 'remove' their stupid marking lines. I wouldn't want to make these poor babies mad. Who are these people, one step down from the messiah? I just want them done and off my property - I don't plan to talk with them any more at this point, I don't even want to look at them or the shoddy work they will do. I will just consider this my lawn project for next season, and see how fast I can bring things around again next year.
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

Old 11-27-2009, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you would think your world is coming to an end stop worrying about it

SOLO OPERATION
Old 11-27-2009, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed, thread closed.
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator