Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-29-2009, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

At best you will only get 12mpg with a F-450/550 it doesn't matter if its a 7.3 or 6.0 if its a 6.4 look at 8mpg. It is cheaper to run a V-10 truck if your looking at new.

I'am in the same boat all you can rent is a 3 yard bin or a 40 yard bin. There is a local disposal company that does have 10 yard bins and he isn't busy.

The big problem is our landfill regulations you can't have a mixed bin of junk and dump it. Recycling is a big part of things here. Metal and wood are recycled along with drywall. So if you have a 10-12 yard bin full of mixed debris you have to sort it as you unload it.

Nobody want to spend the money for separate bins for each item they have and nobody ever sorts what they put in a bin so its a mixed up mess.

If I do garbage removal I have to load the truck so it comes off the truck in the right order I can't dump the load it has to be unloaded by hand.

The benefit of having a rolloff for me would be easier to load I can drop a bin on the ground and load it instead of lifting heavy stuff into the truck.

Also having a rolloff would mean I could do more jobs in one day if you know the stuff the person wants to haul away is one type of item only like yard debris etc.

In todays economy what has killed my work is the " Do it Yourself " attitude to save money. More and more people are doing their own cleaning up they bought utility trailers or have a pickup truck and they do it themselves.

Even on new construction or reno jobs the homeowners are doing the clean up to save money.

I used to be busy and now I have nothing people are into saving every penny they can.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Gravel Rat, Where do you advertise? I've done a lot of research and spoke to a lot of people, yellow book doesn't have the grip it did 10 years ago, not when we have google at our finger tips. I think "business" as a whole, and I mean every business, has changed in a lot of ways. The customer has changed. I agree that a lot of people look to save money.. and when you can rent a 26 foot Ryder truck with unlimited miles for $60.00 who would want to rent a dumpster... For $60.00 + gas + dump you can have your self a 40 Yard dumpster. However, I think a lot of people don't know that and a lot of people who do aren't interested in driving a 26 foot Ryder truck. I think it all comes down to how you advertise, the service you offer, and the quality of service you provide.. In addition to value and pricing. Let me know what you guys think... Joe.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a half page ad in two phone books that brought in work but not enough. I got about 2 calls from online phonebooks. I don't get many calls from google for my lawn care and I am on the first page a lot. I belive you do need phonebook ads and they are getting cheaper every year. You really have to get out there and talk to roofers and roof supply companies. Also put fliers out just as you would for a lawn company because homeowners do use those dumpsters quite a bit and they are normally only a ton in weight also with fliers you never know when you will be hitting a contractor or handyman house.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2009, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Craigslist... You have any ads on there? I don't mean 2 written lines I mean like a nice colorful ad with some pictures?
Old 11-30-2009, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did written lines and got a few off of craigslist if I ran a special. Just update it every couple days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2009, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you in the lawn business?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2009, 06:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Spinelli View Post
Gravel Rat, Where do you advertise? I've done a lot of research and spoke to a lot of people, yellow book doesn't have the grip it did 10 years ago, not when we have google at our finger tips. I think "business" as a whole, and I mean every business, has changed in a lot of ways. The customer has changed. I agree that a lot of people look to save money.. and when you can rent a 26 foot Ryder truck with unlimited miles for $60.00 who would want to rent a dumpster... For $60.00 + gas + dump you can have your self a 40 Yard dumpster. However, I think a lot of people don't know that and a lot of people who do aren't interested in driving a 26 foot Ryder truck. I think it all comes down to how you advertise, the service you offer, and the quality of service you provide.. In addition to value and pricing. Let me know what you guys think... Joe.
Where I live phone books are not used for looking up businesses. Internet isn't used much either. Around here your advertising is word of mouth and who you know. I have tried all kinds of advertising and not much works.

As for people doing the work themselves they have pick ups or trailers nobody rents a truck to do a clean up job. It may take them 20 trips with a small utility trailer but they do it.

It is all about saving money it doesn't matter about anything else.

I used to have lots of work not anymore there is too many people doing clean up work with mini vans or pickup trucks. I can't haul for what they are charging.

Not much I can do I operate a legal truck I'am insured for hauling but when your undercut by the fly by night or these people looking for a quick buck. People doing clean up jobs with their car throwing bags of garbage in the truck on the back seat or strapped to the roof. Mini vans stuffed full hauling garbage to the landfill. Cars pulling utility trailers full of trash.

I have hauled everything and anything but lately not a thing

Even my contractor friends that do reno jobs and new construction are hauling the debris from the jobs they are working on to save the homeowner money.

If a homeowner can save 50 dollars even 10 dollars some even try save 1 dollar.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I hate to say it but... maybe its time to throw the towel in? That's rough. One of the reasons I want a roll-off is so I can have a flatbed roll-off. I figure I can drop it by Home Depot with a for rent sign on it. If you have a big order of wood or something it's a lot easier to unload it from a flatbed that 8 inches off the ground then a truck that's 3 or 4 feet of the ground. Just another reason I want a roll-off, nothing like being able to have 1 truck and 5 or 10 different set-ups.
As far as the ads.. You guys are missing out big time if your not on Craigslist. Craigslist is the new yellow book. A good friend of mine is a mechanic, not quite my business of choice but.. He's been in the business a long time. I put a nice, colorful (but simple) ad on Craigslist.. He's getting about 6 or 7 calls a week from that ad. Now I realize there is a difference between being a mechanic and being in the lawn care or hauling business but I think it just goes to show that craigslist has great potential for marketing a small business. I should mention that he does get calls from the usually weirdos that have nothing else to do with there time and they call and ask about the stupidest things but I suppose it you gotta take the good with the bad... Let me know what you guys think...Joe
Old 11-30-2009, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The npr has come a long way in the last few years! More hp, 6 speed, more cab room and a much better ride. You will not beat the npr on mpg!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my area alot of guys have dump trailers.
I rent dump trailers as a side line . i have 2 7x12 and 1 6x10 I rent one every week or so .
I have a LCF and it a nice truck . My problem is with ford. Its hard to get a lcf fixed around here and parts seem to be a problem .
I think a 550 would be better .
My lcf gets around 8 mpg loaded and 15mpg hi way .

Tags
fuel consumption , fuel efficiency , mpg , new trucks