Register free!

Old 12-10-2009, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a story from a customer who paid well over 20 thousand dollars for a sod installation,
a month later the sod was dead, perhaps it was the customer's fault and maybe it was the
Lco's fault but it really doesn't matter because the Lco is in jail.

How it happened I couldn't say, but if it were my guess I'd say the man couldn't explain himself in court
because that's all it takes when it boils down to inexperience.

So I think you need to be upfront with your customer, otherwise if anything goes wrong it's your arse,
if a customer with this type of a situation ever calls me I would likely not hesitate to recommend legal action,
understand now that businesses without any sort of guarantees or any other sort of plan to fall back on
leave the consumer with little choice, more so when a lot of money is involved.

Last edited by topsites; 12-10-2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Member

If you know why tell us or don't post anything about it.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmark614 View Post
If you know why tell us or don't post anything about it.
I must agree with you exmark, but I guarantee all my work, i have no need to tell them this is my first time, this is my first mass sod job, laying sod is not very difficult, definetly not rocket science. When i do large jobs, which i have done landscaping, I always go back and check up. I will leave a customers with specific directions on care of the new installed sod and will offer to fertilize it for them so they don't have to worry about "messing" up the sod after the initial starter fert. If there is a reasonable explanation it is my fault I will fix it. Thats how I have stayed in business this long and don't plan to change that, along with great customer service and reliablilty.

22 Years Old
10 Years in Business

-Commercial/ Residential
-Full Service.. Lawn Care, Landscaping, Estate Care, Snow & Ice Management

http://www.facebook.com/MMDLC

As of Dec. 2013 College is over and I'm full time!
Old 12-10-2009, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and My Diddy Lawn Care View Post
I must agree with you exmark, but I guarantee all my work, i have no need to tell them this is my first time, this is my first mass sod job, laying sod is not very difficult, definetly not rocket science. When i do large jobs, which i have done landscaping, I always go back and check up. I will leave a customers with specific directions on care of the new installed sod and will offer to fertilize it for them so they don't have to worry about "messing" up the sod after the initial starter fert. If there is a reasonable explanation it is my fault I will fix it. Thats how I have stayed in business this long and don't plan to change that, along with great customer service and reliablilty.
Couldn't have said it better. It's not rocket science at all. I love doing it and it makes more than mowing that's for sure!

After reading some of that guy's posts, he seems like an idiot, and how do you post over 15,000 times?? And that story is probly some made up BS.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better. It's not rocket science at all. I love doing it and it makes more than mowing that's for sure!

After reading some of that guy's posts, he seems like an idiot, and how do you post over 15,000 times?? And that story is probly some made up BS.
lmao, I hadn't even seen the 15,000, that is a lot, I'm thankful for his concern but it wasn't valid for this time and I would say that LCO in his story was stupid, Im trying to figure how he messed up that bad

22 Years Old
10 Years in Business

-Commercial/ Residential

Old 12-10-2009, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, famous last words "Its Not Rocket Science".
Old 12-10-2009, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Couldn't agree more, that and he's a jackass to a lot of people. He probably spends more time on lawnsite than actually making money. When you have 15k posts on a forum you know there must be business issues.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
Yep, famous last words "Its Not Rocket Science".
lol, you know its not though, not to mention if a person is really that stupid they have this thing they call the internet and it tells ya how to do it lmao

22 Years Old
10 Years in Business

-Commercial/ Residential

Old 12-10-2009, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If it works like in our area the sod company would deliver and place the sod for the guy. Then he would go to Home Depot and get 4 guys and pay them about $15 per hour-good price for labor.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and My Diddy Lawn Care View Post
lmao, I hadn't even seen the 15,000, that is a lot, I'm thankful for his concern but it wasn't valid for this time and I would say that LCO in his story was stupid, Im trying to figure how he messed up that bad
I'm trying to think of that as well. It must've been one huge ass account if that were the case. But I'm thinking it's all BS.

And yeah, 15,000...you've gotta be kidding me haha, how can you post that much? Like the other guy said, he probly spends more time on here than in the field or office.