Register free!

Old 01-26-2009, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
I demo-ed it last fall, good machine, but more walking. if most of my yards where smaller I may have gone that way....
Yeah, they are both good machines. You can't go wrong with either one. It just comes down to personal preferences.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-26-2009, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I want fast and easy and thats that
Old 01-26-2009, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Compost Spreaders

We've tried a lot of compost spreaders and the Eco Lawn Applicator is our favorite. It spreads well, holds about 1/2 yard of compost and is a dream compared to spreading by hand.

It doesn't always spread perfectly evenly, and sometimes you need to shake the machine to get the compost to flow out of it, but it is by far the best machine we've tried.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTYCEDAR View Post
I want fast and easy and thats that
And I want someone to shovel the compost into the spreader. Then I 'm good to go.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-26-2009, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Matt,

Have you tested the Earth & Turf self propelled for comparison? Mine works great & spreads fine compost & chunky stuff equally well. I know some don't like the fact that it's a drop spreader, but I find it very efficient and since it holds more material once the sides are built up, that means less trips back to the truck to fill up.

At my age, I wouldn't be able to offer topdressing service without a top dresser of any brand. Yeah, I still work in the field.
Barry,

Thanks for the info. I have heard of them, but confused them with another company in Leola (Millcreek) that deals only with commercial equipment. I will definitely check them out as in there in our backyard.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2009, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF PLUS View Post
The vibration kit was from Vortex Granular Systems, owners name is Mike. Very innovative guy and he has a website. It was 350$ installed. He's out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Several years ago I met Mike and had him come to Marco Island and demo a kit to attach to your spreader so you can spread fertilizer in bushes, tough to reach areas, etc... It worked, so I bought the kit and he installed it. I called on Mike when I first had a difficult time spreading worm cast-grain compound back in August. So now I can use my Lesco spreader to spread worm cast grain compound on bushes and lawns where application amount need to be accurate.
TF PLus,

I just ordered the vibration kit (Mike should get it shipped tomorrow). Things look good. I am going to be using a Spyker #288. I modified the axle and agitator inside the hopper and got a good response. The only problem left was I had to shake teh spreader to settle the compost every so often. I'm hoping the vibration kit takes care of that problem.

The test compost I used was screened to 1/4" and was pretty wet. I could literally make "black snowballs" and throw them. Here is a pic of the coverage (note: you can see the thick spot is where I shook the spreader)...
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2009, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Guys, I get "hung up" on precision when it comes to applications, BUT put precision in the right perspective. It isn't about how much product is in a 2"x2" square. It is about how much product is in a 2'x2' square and how the 2'x2' square down the middle of the pass compares to a 2'x2' square on either end of the pattern. I made tree mad when I "suggested" that some broadcast equipment fails this test unless the pattern is overlapped. I have never seen an eco-lawn, and in all honesty, TG's word that it is even is good enough for me. If it was my nickel being spent, I would want a demo and check it myself before I passed them the check, but I am that way about almost anything I expect to perform. If I had to build it, then I have to kick myself (quite good at that too, actually), but I still kick and I don't "settle". If I'm buying something, the trade offs are weighed accordingly and then I make a decision.

My point is that the picture shows some lighter and darker "spots", but overall the distribution (minus the one streak) looks decent. Plants, even turf, don't pull nutrients from a single 1" square. Root zones are wide. The goal is to be as uniform as possible in an overall sense of the application area, not "perfect".

And, even with a drop spreader, if I feel it must be as "perfect" as possible, we do overlapping patterns in two directions. Overkill? maybe, but I feel better.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll post pics when I get it tweaked just right.

My tolerance is good enough that the customers are pleased. If I have an mojor streaking problems I will let you know.

The last three years I have broadcast chems with a bag spreader over my shoulder. I don't expect this to be a problem.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

How long does it take to spread three wheel barrow loads of material evenly? I can spread three wheel barrow loads worth of material in three minutes and three seconds including loading using a conveyer truck and a turfco metermatic. You will never get material down as evenly by hand as you will by machine. It is like trying to cut your lawn with a pair of finger nail clippers. You cannot imagine the difference.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

how many cubic feet will the Eco hold