Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2009, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Christmas Lights and Religion

Is hanging lights a form of celebration? The reason I ask is I have an employee who is a witness. Well he really isnt even a witness yet just studying to be one. He has no other job and refuses to hang lights with the crew. By no means an I knocking the guys religion, but just seems to me if he is hurting so bad for cash he could sure put up some lights. Anyone else ever have an issue like this? Just kinda irritates me when the guy calls me begging for money or work but won't work with the lights.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Religion is the root of ALL problems. That's all I can say.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

The job I had before I went full time lawn and landscape was with wholesale company. I was operations and sales and one of the employees was a witness, super hard worker and an all round great guy. He would always make Thanksgiving and Christmas difficult because the company would give out hams or turkeys, your choice. He said that it was wrong of the company to push this on him. I told him that he had the option to not take the offering if it caused issues. He would always take a ham only after he talked with HR about his feelings and working on getting them to change/stop the gift. He said that if they offered food any other time of the year that would be ok.

We put C9’s on a home this year for a Jewish family; they selected a very simple roofline package in white and blue lights. The point I’m making is that people hold their religion and beliefs differently then the next. Does your employee have an issue with ladders, being out in the cold, or does he really feel like installing a display represents his beliefs? You are providing a service to your customer, which does not have the time to do or may not have the resources. Your employee should look at it from a service stand point, not a religion stand point. In the 2 years I have installed holiday lighting I have only been asked to install a nativity scene at one home. Lighting does not really have anything to do with religion other then showing your spirit for the season in my eyes.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tyler- nice post. truly shows your intellect.

Jehovah's witnesses celebrated Christmas up until the early 1900's. thier first two presidents encouraged it, and their basic beliefs changed somewhat after that. They really did not enunciate it until the 1980's or so, but basically they believe Christmas to be a pagan celebration. Funny how it used to be in roman times, but ahem, the world moved on.

I think it boild down to several things. Most Baptists think drinking is a sin, but I am certain many of them work in places associated with alcohol consumption- bars, eateries, liquor stores. It would not surprise me that many baptists work in winery's, or distilleries thrughout the US.

Many Christians consider rated R movies sinful to watch, but how many folks that work at movie theaters call themselves Christian?

I think if a Witness is 100% theologically honest with himself, he would have to admit that the act of putting Christmas Lights on a home as a job is not helping a person commit a pagan act of worship or celebration. The person buying just likes lights.