Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2009, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
we have had a few now that have loyalty to our company and do great work so we try to pay them well and take care of them like family at times to build a good relationship. that seems to work best for us. you just have to know where the line is and not cross it between employee that you treat well and really befriending them. it can backfire easily
But at a certain point you can't pay them anymore otherwise you will start to loose money no?

And explain your experience please with backfire when you came to friendly to your employees.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I only have two commercial contracts and currently no employees(other then side help{rare}).
The commercials here are year round but they are biweekly in the off season. Next time I bid, I will try my best to put most jobs on the off season. Mulching the beds and so on.... This will help stay busy.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

In my business, irrigation, lighting & fountains, if you lose employees, you lose training and re-training costs money. We may not get but 30 hrs a week during some Jan/Feb weeks, but you owe it to everyone involved to keep it going..... unless there is just nothing to do, then most good employees will brace for a short duration.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I have employees questioning receiving unemployment benefits in the winter. I work in Michigan. I admit I'm behind on filing the whole 940 thing and paying into it. But, I can catch it up. My question, if I'm a seasonal employer (April-Nov), and the Federal govt acknowledges I'm seasonal. (even though the website says seasonal can't exceed 26 weeks) how can they collect?
Old 12-13-2009, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am trying a new model here. I have hired my lead hand on as a Salary position. This way we both know what we are "in for" and his family is more secure year round. I used to pay him on piecework. He made a ton of dough each week in the summer and then made nothing from December to April. This new format seems to be working out very well for both of us.

Put some faith in your best people and give them a quality of life that you would hope for and expect out of a good employer. After all, in the end, all we have is people. People doing business with people.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-16-2009, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlipari View Post
I have employees questioning receiving unemployment benefits in the winter. I work in Michigan. I admit I'm behind on filing the whole 940 thing and paying into it. But, I can catch it up. My question, if I'm a seasonal employer (April-Nov), and the Federal govt acknowledges I'm seasonal. (even though the website says seasonal can't exceed 26 weeks) how can they collect?
If you find the answer to this question let me know
Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlipari View Post
I recommend you catch up with your state and fed UI. They have pretty big fines and interest penalties. Call them up. When you do ask them about your seasonal question. I think you should have notified the employee when you hired him the dates of seasonal employment.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Works Lighting View Post
I am trying a new model here. I have hired my lead hand on as a Salary position. This way we both know what we are "in for" and his family is more secure year round. I used to pay him on piecework. He made a ton of dough each week in the summer and then made nothing from December to April. This new format seems to be working out very well for both of us.

Put some faith in your best people and give them a quality of life that you would hope for and expect out of a good employer. After all, in the end, all we have is people. People doing business with people.
I have been contemplating doing this with one employee. Does your man have any problems when there is a need to work 50 hours per week in the summer.