Originally Posted by WGLandscapeMaintenance View Post
Buy a 2010 CRF 450, lot cheaper than $10,000, but not by much
Maybe, but it aint no CR500.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It'll still rip your arms off.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cant really compare an old 500 2 stroke to a modern day 450 4 stroke...it just depends what you want and your style of riding. Nobody takes a CR500 on a track anymore, but a 450 is at home. When you want straight up arm ripping play riding or whatever, the 500 might be more fun. But then again, I know yamaha had many 450 riders saying the bikes were overpowered for many tracks with arm ripping power. I have ridden both and they both rip your arms off!! But with ease of starting, availability of parts, not mixing gas, etc. etc. , I will take a new fuel injected 450!!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPER MAN View Post
Thats a awesome bike. Is it a triple? I want to go to deal's gap. I know some guys that have been there and say its awesome. I looked at the triumphs but the wider frame of ducati's fits me better.
Ive been all over the east coast on rides and I can tell you that deals gap is not whats its cracked up to be..IMO. Its a slow road, sure you drag knees and what not, but the big 18 wheelers and crazy car racers that are there will kill you. Type into you tube deals gap and look threw some of the horror videos of trucks not making the turns, they are way to sharp and the trucks go WAY over the yellows. Its just no fun imo. If you want a real ride, go to rt.33 on the WV, VA line. Best road I have rode in my life. Its a fast, sweeping type road and YES, you can drag knees I do it everyweekend in the summer. Its a great ride and B E Autiful scenery.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Property Maintenance Plus View Post
Ive been all over the east coast on rides and I can tell you that deals gap is not whats its cracked up to be..IMO. Its a slow road, sure you drag knees and what not, but the big 18 wheelers and crazy car racers that are there will kill you. Type into you tube deals gap and look threw some of the horror videos of trucks not making the turns, they are way to sharp and the trucks go WAY over the yellows. Its just no fun imo. If you want a real ride, go to rt.33 on the WV, VA line. Best road I have rode in my life. Its a fast, sweeping type road and YES, you can drag knees I do it everyweekend in the summer. Its a great ride and B E Autiful scenery.
Thanks for the info man. In a couple weeks I'm going to the twisted sisters (west texas). During the summer I will be looking for places to go up north because it gets really hot here. I will definitely keep that suggestion in mind.
Lesco application equipment

Having employees that enjoy what they are doing and care about quality is what makes happy customers.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoetschOutdoor View Post
Cant really compare an old 500 2 stroke to a modern day 450 4 stroke...it just depends what you want and your style of riding. Nobody takes a CR500 on a track anymore, but a 450 is at home. When you want straight up arm ripping play riding or whatever, the 500 might be more fun. But then again, I know yamaha had many 450 riders saying the bikes were overpowered for many tracks with arm ripping power. I have ridden both and they both rip your arms off!! But with ease of starting, availability of parts, not mixing gas, etc. etc. , I will take a new fuel injected 450!!
I'm old school and I always like to be different.The thing is, when you take a 250 on a track, nobody notices you, when you take a 450 on the track nobody notices you, but when you ride up on a popping CR500, everyone stops what they're doing. Even back in 97', people were always grinning when I took my 500 out on the track. I had guys who would stop riding just to see that "bad boy" roost in the corners-you can't get that kind of attention on a 450 because everyone has one. I raced my 500 on M/X tracks, woods racing, and grand prix's. It was a hand full but that's what I wanted. What other bike will sling dirt at 60 MPH!!!!???????? If I ever got back into riding, I'd still consider getting another used 500 and give those 450's a face full of dirt!!!!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bravo are you talking 250 as in 2-stroke? Because those are rare at the races, not many have them. I hate the sound of 2-stroke dirtbikes, annoying, the 09-10 kawi 250 & 450s are the best sounding out there by far!! I'd have one but I gotta pay for college

The 450s are definitely overpowered for sx tracks and indoor tracks, for outdoors they're pretty damn fast. My RMZ 250 is the perfect medium, perfect for indoors, as well as outdoors. And my riding style suits a 4-stroke much better because I've always been a low-mid rpm rider, the 2 strokes power is on the high end, I'm up a gear compared to most guys, smoother and quieter is faster because some guys, mostly honda riders for some reason are 2nd gear rev limiter and I'm in 3rd and my bike is quiet, and when they run out of power, I've got a lot more being a gear higher, and suzukis have a lot of low end torque.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing can compare to the low end power of the 4 strokes and thats what I love. Perfect for seatbouncing those small to mid jumps and plenty of power if Im lugging up to speed for a big jump. Perfect for the woods as well and doesnt get cranky when I ride one day when its freezing outside and then later when its 100 degrees out. Its nice to be able to have the power whenever I want and not hafta be in the powerband all the time.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Or having to feather the clutch! That was annoying, I remember back on 65s and 85s (those pics a few pgs back under the username exmark614 are me, this account was locked but I got back on with this name) climbing some of the hillier sandy/loamy tracks was such a pain, wide open over the rear fender and still feathering the clutch to get power. On those same tracks on my 250, set 'er in 3rd or 4th or w/e and lean back and twist the throttle, no clutching it!!