Register free!

Old 12-21-2009, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

new opinions on new aerator to buy

Well I need to buy a walk behind aerator for my 1st year in business next spring. I mostly need it for residential only, about 1/3 acre, some of them have a lot of tree/shrubs to go around. Some other areas are 1 acre + with less tree/shrubs to go around.

I use to work for a company for 2 years for aeration, we were using the ryan lawnair V, which worked very great, and also the bluebird which were ok.

So i'm asking which one I should go for, obviously it has to be used, and looking in the 1000-2000$ budget, I think that would be good enough for my first year.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should be able to find a good used Ryan for that price. However, if you can afford and extra $1500.00, check out the Lawn Solutions walk behind aerator. It's hydro driven, aerates forward and reverse...meaning no more lifting the tines up to make hard turns, pull backwards in tight areas, etc. You can also adjust the depth of the tines.

I bought one this fall, and after using a Ryan Lawnaire IV, this thing is awesome. I did alot of medium sized lawns with it. This thing pulls nice plugs. On thin lawns, I double aerated and over-seeded with excellent results. It really is a great machine, but don't just take my word on it. Do a search on aerators. There are a number of guys who use them.

Good luck

Jack

Last edited by grass4gas; 12-22-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya I heard about that aerator and watch videos, it looks amazing, also it could save some work endurance, if you don't have to lift the dam thing every time you turn.

It's just that i'll be doing aeration for about 6 weeks, then moving to driveway sealing so thats why i'm looking for a cheaper one, but thx for the advice, i'll keep it in mind.