Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2009, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you may have too much time on your hands!
Old 12-28-2009, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

On this weeks episode of "Deadliest Cutter" Kevin lane skipper of the 36" Toro battles 65 degree temps and a case of "Taco Bell Intestines" to stay on schedule!
Old 12-28-2009, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Now that I am done pizzing on myself over Kevin's video. I am doing one of my regulars and a guy rollerblades by twice watching me. He flags me down on my way out wanting an estimate. Nice gated community, corner lot, 1/3 acre. Says he has "Joes Lawn Service" doing it now but they edge too deep, scalp around the sprinklers blah, blah, blah. I ask my standard " so, what are they charging to make you unhappy?" Guy says 45.00 a month!! Mind you this is a 3 man crew I've seen here with good equipment. The guy shows me an invoice. I about fell over. This was not a winter rate either. This is beyond lowballing. I do yards all around him for 100.00, most I have had for 3 years. Joe can have it, guy sounded like a PITA, maybe I should get him to sub my accounts.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Old 12-28-2009, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Now that I am done pizzing on myself over Kevin's video. I am doing one of my regulars and a guy rollerblades by twice watching me. He flags me down on my way out wanting an estimate. Nice gated community, corner lot, 1/3 acre. Says he has "Joes Lawn Service" doing it now but they edge too deep, scalp around the sprinklers blah, blah, blah. I ask my standard " so, what are they charging to make you unhappy?" Guy says 45.00 a month!! Mind you this is a 3 man crew I've seen here with good equipment. The guy shows me an invoice. I about fell over. This was not a winter rate either. This is beyond lowballing. I do yards all around him for 100.00, most I have had for 3 years. Joe can have it, guy sounded like a PITA, maybe I should get him to sub my accounts.
Innnncredible....
Old 12-28-2009, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
On this weeks episode of "Deadliest Cutter" Kevin lane skipper of the 36" Toro battles 65 degree temps and a case of "Taco Bell Intestines" to stay on schedule!
ROFL! Deadliest cutter! ha ha

Kevin Lane
Genesis Property Management
MY MOTTO: GET ER DONE or keep walkin!
Old 12-28-2009, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Sounds exactly like the estimate I did last week. The guy says the last company was charging him only $100 for 2 properties. (But the weren't showing up, I kinda chuckled, that's why they only charge $100, they weren't doing anything, lol.) I gave him a $200month quote. He said that was a little too much, (even though the neigbor pays $100 for his LCO). Then he had to think about it.....then I thought to myself, whatever, keep findin the cheap ones dude, those are the ones that don't show up.

Kevin Lane
Old 12-28-2009, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm gonna look in the other business related forums, but I just wanted to ask you guys. What do you use for taxes? I've got an accountant & all he needs/wants are the raw end of year numbers. But what I need is something to keep track of my expenses/income so that I can see it/check on it/change it throughout the year. This is the end of my third full year in business & I've used something different every year. I'm just trying to get some ideas. I don't need something that will help me do my taxes, that's what I pay the accountant for.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quickbooks Pro.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolawns View Post
I'm gonna look in the other business related forums, but I just wanted to ask you guys. What do you use for taxes? I've got an accountant & all he needs/wants are the raw end of year numbers. But what I need is something to keep track of my expenses/income so that I can see it/check on it/change it throughout the year. This is the end of my third full year in business & I've used something different every year. I'm just trying to get some ideas. I don't need something that will help me do my taxes, that's what I pay the accountant for.
Yeah quickbooks is the way to go, been using it since I started. There is other software out there, but it is too expensive, not worth it. I looked at one for example... the tag was $500. ridiculous. So I have stayed with the quickbooks, for a small business like ours, it fits our purposes.

Kevin Lane