Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2009, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Question What oil to use huskee riding lawnmower

i started my lawn care service last summer, came off my profits and used it to buy the cheapest, yet new, equipment, i came out with a stihl weed eater, blower, hedge trimmer, and a riding lawnmower. My problem now is that i wish to change the oil in my riding lawnmower but i dont know what is best to use since i am about to start using it all summer, and how often to change it, this is the mower
http://www.tractorsupply.com/outdoor...ractor-4500599
i appreciate all the help
Old 12-30-2009, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Houston,
You purchased the Mower new from TSC? They should have given you a name of a reputable repair business that works on warranty work for their shop. If they didn't, go back and ask the manager for a name. If the store doesn't have one to give you, then I would be very leary of buying from them again with their larger equipment??????
Anyway, there should have been a Owner's manual with the mower and a user's manual. The owner's manual cover's the engine specs for maintenance. The section on maintenance will tell you what oil to purchase and use on scheduled slots. All new equipment that I have purchased usually has starter oil in the pan. This needs to be removed after XX amount of hours. Then the required oils put back in and a new oil filter. This will remove any and most metal composits that happen after the breaking in period. Refer to the owners manual and take warning to what the engine requires, so if you need to take the unit in for warranty work, you can show them bottles and reciepts. I don't usually need to be so anal about commercial equipment as such, but these off the wall dealers will send you to someone else for warranty work. These other guys will point fingers and try to persuade you otherwise. We run Kohler Command's and Kawasaki's, so in the summer, we run 30 HD and in the fall-winter winter 10W30--no pennzoil...... You being in Texas and possible warmer weather and longer growing season, you can get by with 10W30. Take note of the owner's manual as you don't need to do with your equipment as I do. It is your warranty......not mine, so put in the engine what the factory recommends. Go to the nearest mower dealer and you can buy good quality oils for whatever style of engine is on the unit!!!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for the help
Old 12-31-2009, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Also, throw your warranty papers away after about the first 30 days of ownership, they'll do you no good.

and to "Think Green" , Kohler specs 10W30 in the Command engine, not 30wt.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

any idea where i can find the information, cause i dont have any papers and i need to find out what the capacity is
Old 12-31-2009, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Newz,
Thanks for the follow up........I must have been thinking of something else on the spec's.
Mostly use 10W30!!!!

Houston,
Take the engine's make and model number and go to any dealer that repairs or warrants the Kohler--Briggs--Tecumseh whatever. Ask them for the specs on oil usage.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonarvizu View Post
any idea where i can find the information, cause i dont have any papers and i need to find out what the capacity is
http://www.kohlerengines.com/manuals/landing.htm

I'm assuming you have the 19hp Kohler..

Engine Type:
4-cycle, gasoline, OHV, single-cylinder, air-cooled, vertical shaft, full pressure lubrication with full-flow filter, aluminum head and crankcase with cast iron cylinder liner.

Model Courage SV590
Max Power @3600 RPM hp (kW) 19 (14.2)
Displacement cu in (cc) 36.4 (597)
Bore in (mm) 3.7 (94)
Stroke in (mm) 3.4 (86)
Peak Torque @ Maximum lbs ft (Nm) 36 (48.8)
Compression Ratio 8.5:1
Dry Weight lbs (kg) 79 (35.8)
Oil Capacity U.S. quarts (L) 1.6 (1.5)
Lubrication Full pressure w/full-flow filter
Dimensions L x W x H in 19.4 x 16.4 x 12.9
Old 01-01-2010, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

appreciate it guys, gotta work hard this year, make all these ends meet.

Tags
mower , oil , riding