Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-04-2010, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
Its a crew cab short bed dually. Thats the easiest way to say it. Same length as a super cab long bed dually.
I don't recall any of the big 3 making such unit. Duallys were std cab long bed, ext cab long bed, and crew cab long bed. Short beds were single rear wheel. Cab and chassis units could also be had in std, ext, and crew cab with duals in the same wheelbases and Ford built std cab units on crewcab long wheelbase frames. They look strange when you see a welder/generator between the cab and the long utility bed.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
Ah. I don't blame you. Work trucks aren't meant to be gussied up anyway. Chrome is just more maintenance in the long run.
You can't tell too bad in the photo too, but my cab corners are rotting out, along with the rocker panel, and the section of floor-board along the rocker.

It needs a steering pump, steering box, probably due for a motor swap, and I think one of the body mounts is starting to deteriorate.

The truck was in even worse shape when I bought it, and part of me thinks it's about time to take the plow and dump off and get a f-450 with a better body and a V-10 or 460.

Basically I bought the dump and plow for 3K and got a free truck. I've gotten as much or more use out of it as I could expect for a truck in the shape that was in before I started working on it.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyNut View Post
I don't recall any of the big 3 making such unit. Duallys were std cab long bed, ext cab long bed, and crew cab long bed. Short beds were single rear wheel. Cab and chassis units could also be had in std, ext, and crew cab with duals in the same wheelbases and Ford built std cab units on crewcab long wheelbase frames. They look strange when you see a welder/generator between the cab and the long utility bed.
Your wrong. Ford at least sold crew cab short bed drw up till 09 year. Someone i know has a 08 black short bed crew cab drw.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Ford had a short bed, dually crew cab as early as 2001. I don't know when or if they quit making them.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelawncare View Post
Your wrong. Ford at least sold crew cab short bed drw up till 09 year. Someone i know has a 08 black short bed crew cab drw.
I stand corrected. It was a special order option.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
Ford had a short bed, dually crew cab as early as 2001. I don't know when or if they quit making them.
Not available as of 2009.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey white gardens: do you have a problem with your front tires falling into the wheel tracks of the rear wheels? I noticed this on my old bosses F550.

From what I have picked up about DRW over SRW. You'd go through less tire wear, as loads pulled sit more spread out over the four tires instead of two. In snow you'll get more points of contact to a surface so less spining tire, that can lead to drive line failure. But need a wider plow to cover your track.

This my pratice, probably not the best, but I change out tires in the front (steering) seperately from the rear tires. Helps with cost a little, not a bigger up front bill.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 01-05-2010, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Hey white gardens: do you have a problem with your front tires falling into the wheel tracks of the rear wheels? I noticed this on my old bosses F550.

From what I have picked up about DRW over SRW. You'd go through less tire wear, as loads pulled sit more spread out over the four tires instead of two. In snow you'll get more points of contact to a surface so less spining tire, that can lead to drive line failure. But need a wider plow to cover your track.

This my pratice, probably not the best, but I change out tires in the front (steering) seperately from the rear tires. Helps with cost a little, not a bigger up front bill.
I don't necessarily have problems with the front wheels dropping in the wheel tracks, and honestly I haven't paid attention to how the tracks line up. We are expecting 4-6 inches of snow Wednesday night so I might actually look at that. I actually think the front tires go down the middle of my rear wheels because my truck is a cab and chassis, and for the year I think the rear axle is a little narrower than a personal use F-350. There are some quirks to a cab and chassis, and have to clarify when I go get parts for the truck.

Also, my plow is at 8.5 feet so it's plenty wide to clear a path.

Ya, if and when I change the tires I would do them separately. The fronts are standards and the rears are beefier snow tires to help with the fact the truck is only 2wd.

On a truck forum I'm on it's debated on weather the DWR gets better or worse traction in the snow. I think what helps me out is having plenty of weight in the rear and the fact that I have a shorter wheel-base so the rear has less in front of it to push. In slick parking lots I also can't fish-tail the rear at all. Some guys state that the longer wheel base DWRs don't do well in the snow at all.

My next beast is going to be an f-450, short wheelbase, 4wd. Right now my truck gets around good in the snow, but, I'd like to have the 4wd to be a little more aggressive when plowing.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think, Go ahead and buy a dually... I have a 01 chevrolet silverado 3500
drw, Can handle the weight I need. plus they look bad ass. rear tires last longer too. Also had two skids of pavers loaded in the bed. barley sagged the suspension. maybe dropped an inch. I'll never go back too srw... buy one...
scag 48" advantage mowers
bobcat 21" mower
redmax 8050 blowers
echo string trimmers
echo hedge trimmers
billy goat htr1600 truck loader
billy goat 1600 truck loader
dynapact compactor
stihl ts400 saws
brick saws
masonry tools
rakes and shovels,wheel barrows