Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Do it yourself or Go with a Pro
Spend big $$$ and hire someone 4 66.67%
Pick a sitebuilder and do it myself 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2009, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Which way to go?

Tried to read every thread here and have one question. Will using a builder site and doing it myself limit the accessability to potential clients? Will letting a pro do it enable the site to be found easier by those using search engines? I'm on the fence because like everyone working for themselves I am watching every penny coming and going. I want the visibility but also the best bang for my buck! Merry CHRISTmas!
Old 12-13-2009, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

There is an inherent difference between the web sites that a pro will build and that which you create yourself. It is like anything else... If you want pro results, leave it to a pro to do.

www.integralighting.com

This is my 6 year old website. It has not had a major upgrade since its inception.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-13-2009, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Member

I've spent the $'s to have mine done, take a look: www.sealkc.com

I think it shows. It depends on how much business you want from the web. I'm no longer in lawn/landscape, and my market is now very different, but I really love this forum, and my business still has some overlap.

Building the site is only half the battle. Optimization is what get your site found and is just as hard/expensive as building the site itself.

I believe your website should reflect directly on your business. For example if you were simply maintaining property for banks for example, the site doesn't need to be that great. If you're manicuring million dollar homes, your website should reflect the quality of your work.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think it has alot to do with how much you have to spend. if you're on the small scale, build a site on your own for now, and once you get some capital re-do the site with the help of a professional.
2003 Haulmark 6x14 Enclosed trailer
Old 12-22-2009, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There are many ways to "pay" for a professional web site. Don't forget the ease and simplicity of contra deals. You supply your expertise and services in return for those of another. That is how my site was developed. Worked out really well for everyone.

www.integralighting.com

www.ledlightsdirect.com

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-28-2009, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEET-T View Post
Tried to read every thread here and have one question. Will using a builder site and doing it myself limit the accessability to potential clients? Will letting a pro do it enable the site to be found easier by those using search engines? I'm on the fence because like everyone working for themselves I am watching every penny coming and going. I want the visibility but also the best bang for my buck! Merry CHRISTmas!
Your poll assumes that you need to spend a lot of money to achieve professional results. In that, you are leaving out a third, and relatively new option: Pre-built site constructs (aka CMS) that can be modified either by you or a professional designer (or jointly) which offer professional features and plug-ins that can easily be self-installed.

Professional Web developers are expensive because they are often asked to build Websites for clients from scratch. With a CMS system, the site itself is already built, page editors are pre-installed, and content libraries already exist for users of particular systems. Ultimately, you can figure these systems out on your own. Graphics may be the only issue for you the average small business owner, but even hiring a graphic designer to customize a few images for you is cheaper than hiring a Web developer to build a site for you from scratch.

-Robert-

_
Old 01-05-2010, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't have to spend a ton to get a quality site that can be found. Content is king.