Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2010, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditch the "redneck" and "shithouse". Neither inspire and only conjure up a joke. Really.

1. needs to have a diesel option for small and large cutting decks. I refuse to believe that all diesels have to be heavy. Everride makes a 52" diesel that weighs in right around 1100 #s.

2. An on demand mulch deck that actually works. The John Deere systems neither discharges or mulches worth a damn. * OR (see #4)

3. Design a flip up deck like is used by Country Clipper.

4. *Incorporate 2 and 3 above so that a mulch system can be "plugged in" in a matter of seconds.

5. A stripe system like that of the Scag Tiger stripe where it uses a Spring to push the striping roller down.

6. Consider a rear discharge option.

7. Incorporate a system that you can quick attach/ detatch front mount options like aerators, dethatchers, sprayers etc.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

How about instead of PTO driven deck pulleys and manual blade engages, use a 100% hydraulic blade drive system, no ptos, no manual lever blade engages, similar to the mowers they use on golf courses. This would cut down on many of a mowers problems. I also like the idea of more control panel gauges, like engine temp, oil pressure, fuel level, etc. Also like the flip up deck idea, so it can go completely vertical, this makes blade changes and scraping so easy! Please do not use the TED brakes! ZTRs do not need a brake system, it is hydro controlled, so why put brakes on it?
Old 01-09-2010, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
How about instead of PTO driven deck pulleys and manual blade engages, use a 100% hydraulic blade drive system, no ptos, no manual lever blade engages, similar to the mowers they use on golf courses. This would cut down on many of a mowers problems. I also like the idea of more control panel gauges, like engine temp, oil pressure, fuel level, etc. Also like the flip up deck idea, so it can go completely vertical, this makes blade changes and scraping so easy! Please do not use the TED brakes! ZTRs do not need a brake system, it is hydro controlled, so why put brakes on it?
Have you ever pointed a zero turn mower downhill? I would put them as an option if nothing else. Some of us have hills that the Ted brakes would be a huge help safety wise.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 01-09-2010, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
in Tedd's profile - you can find treads, started by Tedd - this would answer a lot of questions "why?" - this been discussed, a lot of info
Old 01-09-2010, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't read the entire thread, so I'm sorry if I am repeating stuff that others have said.

-Nothing branded "redneck" or "shithouse" will ever be on one of our trailers.
-How about a machine that is set up for real attachments. Like snow-thrower/plow, rotating brush, blower, aerator, etc? Like a Walker, but not slow.
-The detachable fuel tank idea is cool, but I take the truck and trailer fully loaded to the gas station, and just fill everything for the week (truck, mowers, and two 5 gal containers). I am not sure how detaching would help.
-My next mower will probably be a diesel. And it will go 13mph minimum.
-Around here, we need a nice vac/collection system like on an Exmark. Bigger capacity is better. But QDS is useless for us.
-No flat tires. Tires are the biggest cause of lost productivity.
-Easy grease points, and oil/filter access.

That's all I got.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 01-09-2010, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some people have apparently had problems with the deck bouncing. The decks already rip up the turf enough with the anti scalp wheels because the decks are so heavy, so adding springs for down pressure wouldn't be the best idea, IMO. If anything, add swivel anti scalp wheels, springs to hold the deck up a little, a solid lift system (not chain; look at kubota's), and shock absorbers to prevent bouncing.

With the mid shaft pto, optional front mount flail brush mowers, sweepers, snowblowers, etc could be easily added. I like the all integrated kubota transmission; there is no belts connecting the hydros and pto, and no hoses between the pumps and motors.

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My perfect z turn would be
1. overpowered
2. adjustable deck size
3. loackable casteres, steerable casters for hill mowing
4. suspension
5. solid core tires
6. remote grease fittings anll in 1 place.
7. deck that will not clump in wet and leave stragglers in weed lawns
8. built in hitch
9. built in chute blocker
10. built with ALL AMERICAN MADE COMPONENTS.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 01-09-2010, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
My biggest complaint is at higher speeds the ride is so bumpy that the deck
literally goes to floating and never settles back down, resulting in a bad cut.

It's not that I have to mow at 25 mph but the deck is hung by chains from the frame as part of the
design so the only thing that holds the deck in place is gravity, which also allows the deck to get
knocked around when riding over bumps.

The only time the deck NEEDS to float is when either an anti-scalp wheel or the
relationship of the front casters to the rear part of the frame makes it do that...

The chains on every mower merely dictate the limit on the down travel, there is nothing preventing
the deck from traveling upwards on its own, such as when a bump knocks it around.

As for how to fix this I could not tell you, perhaps a system involving loaded springs in addition to the lengths of chain?
not just nothing except gravity holding deck on set cutting height position, but strong two springs (deck lift assist) reducing gravity force very significantly
so, not just on the bumps - any acceleration/deceleration in vertical dimension will reduce deck G-force closer to freefall (1) - with lesser force down, springs would pick deck up;

- spring travel can be locked and engaged only by operator pedal (likes it done in husqvarna), not both ways

(1) freefall body has Mass, no Weigh - Nasa airplane where they test weightlessness - good example)
Old 01-09-2010, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
My perfect z turn would be
1. overpowered
2. adjustable deck size
3. loackable casteres, steerable casters for hill mowing
4. suspension
5. solid core tires
6. remote grease fittings anll in 1 place.
7. deck that will not clump in wet and leave stragglers in weed lawns
8. built in hitch
9. built in chute blocker
10. built with ALL AMERICAN MADE COMPONENTS.
I really like number 6, however I would settle for the remote fittings to be close to the original fittings but in a more easily accessible location.

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demhustler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
My biggest complaint is at higher speeds the ride is so bumpy that the deck
literally goes to floating and never settles back down, resulting in a bad cut.

It's not that I have to mow at 25 mph but the deck is hung by chains from the frame as part of the
design so the only thing that holds the deck in place is gravity, which also allows the deck to get
knocked around when riding over bumps.

The only time the deck NEEDS to float is when either an anti-scalp wheel or the
relationship of the front casters to the rear part of the frame makes it do that...

The chains on every mower merely dictate the limit on the down travel, there is nothing preventing
the deck from traveling upwards on its own, such as when a bump knocks it around.

As for how to fix this I could not tell you, perhaps a system involving loaded springs in addition to the lengths of chain?
Quote]

not just nothing except gravity holding deck on set cutting height position, but strong two springs (deck lift assist) reducing gravity force very significantly
so, not just on the bumps - any acceleration/deceleration in vertical dimension will reduce deck G-force closer to freefall (1) - with lesser force down, springs would pick deck up;

- spring travel can be locked and engaged only by operator pedal (likes it done in husqvarna), not both ways

(1) freefall body has Mass, no Weigh - Nasa airplane where they test weightlessness - good example)
jumping (flip/flapping) deck -serious issue - deck smashes against chains - impacts very stiff (even when mower frame moves smooth)
frame has tires; deck has nothing
we had deck felt-off - metal snapped around welds on lift arms;

solution could be:
1. light springs and shocks - to hold deck down on set by oprator cutting height;
2. rumbber bushings (stoppers) -like ones holding car/truck engines