Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2010, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Yep thats right try be positive and hope I can get work on my own and get litterally kicked in the nuts and say you are useless.

I said to my parents that I was buying another truck something that will work better for my needs and then the chit hit the fan.

Way to be supportive of what I do nope just end up in a screaming match.

I try to explain the stress related problems I have with my gov't job and yes I do have stress problems. I try deal with it as best as I can it. Trying to get work part time doing what I want to do to keep my sanity.

Getting yelled at saying to have to work at a job you dislike it is a part of life. You have no life working for the gov't it is why I want to see if I can get some work going.

So ya I had a Bobcat Ron fight with the folks.

Isn't your familly supposed to be supportive of what you want to do not think your a failure.
Sounds like your parents are abusive,not physical just mental abuse which can hurt more. My father(may he rest in peace) never hit his wife or kids,but sometimes he had a bad temper and a sharp tongue that hurt more than a belt ever would.Now that I have kids of my own I try to be supportive of them but sometimes find myself saying things that I regret later,just like my dad.Last week I called one of my sons a ----ing idiot ,he looked at me and said "you made me what I am; it's your genes that created me."I apologized later and try to keep my emotions in check,I don't know why we sometimes hurt those we love the most.Maybe its the stress of too much time together stuck inside on these long winter days.I have to go to church today,sometimes that can help me get my priorities in order again.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosedog View Post
Sounds like your parents are abusive,not physical just mental abuse which can hurt more. My father(may he rest in peace) never hit his wife or kids,but sometimes he had a bad temper and a sharp tongue that hurt more than a belt ever would.Now that I have kids of my own I try to be supportive of them but sometimes find myself saying things that I regret later,just like my dad.Last week I called one of my sons a ----ing idiot ,he looked at me and said "you made me what I am; it's your genes that created me."I apologized later and try to keep my emotions in check,I don't know why we sometimes hurt those we love the most.Maybe its the stress of too much time together stuck inside on these long winter days.I have to go to church today,sometimes that can help me get my priorities in order again.
I think the only thing abusive is having to read posts by a grown man crying all of the time.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

GR,
it is hard to feel sympathetic, many of us feed families, pay for our own houses, insurance, equipment, shops, whatever. you pay for a truck and rent at mom and dads. the other thing is on these forums there are many who were the first to try things. whether it be KSSS and his laser grader or ARP and mulching. maybe not the first in the country but in their area. on the other hand we can go to the history of your posts and read endlessly on how things won't work in your area instead of how it can be adapted to work in your area. another funny example is your posts relating to needing a 4wd truck now. i remember a couple years back when you very clearly said repeatedly how its up to a drivers skill and how 2wd is all thats needed. well, apparently now you have learned diffrent. wouldn't it have been nice to learn from others suggestions then and not be in the place you are now.
you need to take a very big humility pill. maybe realize there are things you don't know and that instead of condemming what others do as impossible to work where you live think how to make it work.
As far as working with your hands. it sounds nice. almost rustic in the old pioneer spirit. but realize that most of the equipment folks on this forum run is to make work more efficient and cost effective than doin it by hand. you bring a shovel and rake and i'll bring my dingo and a couple attachments. lets see who finishes first and brings home more money after expenses.
you do have kowledge, i listened to it when i purchaased my F-350 idi. good call it has been everything and better than you described. try not to reinvent the wheel just modify it for diffrent applications.
if this becomes impossible for you and you make no more changes than the last 2 years then it may be your parents know you best. take their advice if you won't take ours. or prove them right.
not meant to bash you and i wish you

good luck,
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 01-10-2010, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just reading between the lines here, but it sounds to me like the parents are wishing you were out on your own.

The way they are looking at it is if you are a grown man still living at home and can afford a new payment for something they don't think you need, then you should be using that money to support yourself instead.

I'm not sure how old you are but if you are over 25yr old then you should have been out on your own years ago. I got nine kids and the four oldest were all out on ther own or married by the time they were 20.

I suspect the parents have been a little lax with you on not kicking you out of the nest and now they are regretting it.

Just calling it like I see it, sorry dude.

2013 Cat 299D XHP

Bobcat Flail Cutter
84" Custom Built Scarifier
84" Custom Built Mini Dozer Blade/Grapple Bucket
84" Custom Built Ripper/Ring Roller
84" Level Best Dual Slope Box Grader with Power Masts

http://happytrack.com/html/track_0.html
Old 01-10-2010, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosedog View Post
hahaha this post cracks me up. Abusive? If you mean by not pushing the little baby birdie out of the nest then i agree. But otherwise.. hahahahh

SOLO OPERATION
Old 01-10-2010, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tnmtn said it as kindly and yet straight forward as possible. You would be good to follow the advice. I will add just one more piece of advice. After approx. 6 years of reading your posts, I think you need to some professional counseling. I am being neither funny nor cruel. I think you could benefit from learning how to cope with life. I don't know if mental health is also free in Canada, but even if it is not you should look into it. There is no shame in it. Most everyone can benefit from it, I know I have at different times. Look into it. You have some issues that you had better come to terms with.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
Tnmtn said it as kindly and yet straight forward as possible. You would be good to follow the advice. I will add just one more piece of advice. After approx. 6 years of reading your posts, I think you need to some professional counseling. I am being neither funny nor cruel. I think you could benefit from learning how to cope with life. I don't know if mental health is also free in Canada, but even if it is not you should look into it. There is no shame in it. Most everyone can benefit from it, I know I have at different times. Look into it. You have some issues that you had better come to terms with.
If GR went and seen some sort of professional counselor can you imagine how traumatic it would be for the Counselor!
Old 01-10-2010, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
I can't afford a house. The bank requires 20% down the cheapest house around is 300,000 thats for a cheap shack. .
It just blows my mind to think that property values are that high in BC. What if you move further out of town? heck, I live in an area where EVERYBODY in the 3rd world is moving to and $300,000 will get you something very, very nice with some property to spread out on. What is the big draw to BC that raises the prices so high? It can't be the weather? Someone explain this to me.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing

Last edited by YellowDogSVC; 01-10-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstrebe View Post
I
I got nine kids and the four oldest were all out on ther own or married by the time they were 20.

That's a lot of kids! Awesome. I imagine Thansgiving buys out half the supermarket! Any of your kids following your line of work?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-10-2010, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
It just blows my mind to think that property values are that high in BC. What if you move further out of town? heck, I live in an area where EVERYBODY in the 3rd world is moving to and $300,000 will get you something very, very nice with some property to spread out on. What is the big draw to BC that raises the prices so high? It can't be the weather? Someone explain this to me.
Come to the West Coast and see for yourself, go to the Sunshine Coast, the Gulf Islands, Whistler, Sea to Sky Highway, Fraser Valley, Vancouver Island, I could go on and on, there is some extremely beautiful places here, we aren't called "Beautiful British Columbia" for nothing. My Mom and Dad had guests from Holland that own a private shipping and export company, he takes his wife with him on a huge barge/tug with a full apartment style living quarters on board, and he's been in every shipping lane there is in Europe. He's seen lots of country.
They spent 4 weeks here, and they were floored when they saw the West Coast. Everyone we have ever had the pleasure of putting up in our home for a few weeks is speechless when they see Hell's Gate or the Fraser Canyon in Fall. And that is the just beginning.
They are coming back with the entire family after the Olympics.

So basically, we have higher costs of living and property taxes because of our natural beauty here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96