Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2010, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

flyers in bags on driveways with weights

I was wondering if anyone had ever put flyers in bags and weighted them and then tossed them on driveways? Weve always done flyers on mailboxrs and had about 1% results. If ayone has ever used the method of bagging the flyers and throwing them on the driveway. i would appreciate any feedback on results. I'm kind of shooting in the dark on this one. Also what do you use to weight the bags down.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its called littering and you can be fined
Old 01-11-2010, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTYCEDAR View Post
Its called littering and you can be fined
Agreed and the first offense is usually $350 in fines as well as 14 hrs community service, as well as a class b misdemeanor charge. 2nd offense is usually 40 hrs and $500 fine
Old 01-11-2010, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

And I get pissed off b/c me and my guys have to pick up all this garbage when we go to our accounts that have been littered with these things!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

wow! you guys having a bad day or what? I guess the paper boys are littering too, we should probably go around and arrest all those kids throwing papers in the driveways. Anyway im sure someone out there has used this method before. Anyone who has feedback that has actually used this method please let me know. It would be much appreciated.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, firstly, they are correct, flyers in bags with sand = tacky as hell.

Secondly, putting anything IN or ON a mailbox or it's post is ILLEGAL. I can't believe you are even getting away with it. Most mail carriers WILL report you.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't tried it, but I did make another contractor pay for a window after the bag he threw ended up in the lawn for whatever reason and I hit it with the mower, sending two rocks into a home.

BTW, there were to adults and 3 children, including a newborn in the room. Had it hit one, someones insurance would have gone waaay up.

Not worth the risk.

BTW, before anyone asks, it was a green paper in a clear bag in green grass, I saw it when I was right about on top of it, I did try to stop.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

BTW, it is littering, newspapers are different. Most newspaper companies have to have special permits if they are not delivering to subscribers.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In that thing sean adams sells, one of his ideas is throwing those weighted flyers on driveways and lawns. I thought that was a very bad suggestion and would make you look like a scrub and I have NEVER seen it done here in Canada. Littering on people's yards is not the way I'd like to stand out from the competition lol. Come to think of it, newspapers are also NOT thrown on the ground up here. They have to go in the mail box or between the doors. I always think it's strange when I see an American tv show where they show newspaper boys throwing papers on lawns or toward the door area.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The local newspaper here threw a "complimenatary" sunday paper in plastic in everybodys driveway about 5 years ago. It snowed on them. My brand new snowblower decided to find one and eat it. It ended up bending the auger. I called the police department and filed a report. The police department called the paper and cited them a fine and suggest to them to pay for the damages. They did. Costly "complimentary" paper. I have not seen those free papers since.

SOLO OPERATION