Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2010, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

High Traffic at Alamo

One nice thing about a lazy, boring, winter, is that I watch PBS gardening shows. One about the turf grass at the Alamo brought up the point of handling foot traffic of 2.5 million people per year.

What they do is 1/2 inch of water, twice per week and aerating twice per month. It would be difficult to find a business interestted in paying for aeration that often, but it is an option that could be thrown out there for thin grass in high traffic areas.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good post. I too wonder about grounds crews that have to take care of (or renovate) high traffic lawns after they take beating after beating. Like at sports stadiums (not just the field, but the grass around the stadiums). What a headache.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 01-14-2010, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a lawn that gets a lot of tractor and cart traffic that I would like to aerate more often. Turning the water down to twice a week would help. The plugs don't crumble apart , they smear into patches of compressed dirt spots sometimes yellowing the grass underneath.

I thought this show was worth mentioning because they looked like they were very successful, in their maintainance program. We may not all have 2.5 million footfalls to worry about every year, but it is nice to know that aerating every other week can be done if necessary.

Also in Texas they watered twice a week. Here in Wisco we could get by with less, except perhaps during unusually hot periods. Water and compaction are also related.