Register free!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=fl-landscapes;3360486]Again its just a hypothetical question to anyone in any region buying an aerator. Whether or not it is smarter to buy two walk behinds or one ride on unit. As far as FL we aerate before we top dress with compost to try and improve the sandy calcareous soils we have here on the coast to allow better moisture as well as nutrient holding capabilities.
(make it less hydrophobic.....slow down the leaching)[/QUOT

Ah ha, why didnt I think of that. I guess, I am always trying to save my customers money, I guess. Here in SC we have very sandy soil too.. what a nice idea to help improve soil and promote services.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

FL - I think you answered your own question. Since you have a BG WB then get the big boy as your next purchase - this thing flys. Use the smaller one to get into tight spaces and do smaller jobs and the big boy to med to bigger jobs. The other thing to consider is the big boy will pull much deeper plugs - up to 5 or 6 inches.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=shortgrass01;3360494]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Again its just a hypothetical question to anyone in any region buying an aerator. Whether or not it is smarter to buy two walk behinds or one ride on unit. As far as FL we aerate before we top dress with compost to try and improve the sandy calcareous soils we have here on the coast to allow better moisture as well as nutrient holding capabilities.
(make it less hydrophobic.....slow down the leaching)[/QUOT

Ah ha, why didnt I think of that. I guess, I am always trying to save my customers money, I guess. Here in SC we have very sandy soil too.. what a nice idea to help improve soil and promote services.
you will save them money with lower water bills and lest fert inputs.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot James View Post
FL - I think you answered your own question. Since you have a BG WB then get the big boy as your next purchase - this thing flys. Use the smaller one to get into tight spaces and do smaller jobs and the big boy to med to bigger jobs. The other thing to consider is the big boy will pull much deeper plugs - up to 5 or 6 inches.
Yes I've always considered the weight of the bigger ride on as a bonus for pulling better plugs as long as the soil isnt so moist you rut.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i would probably say the ride-on...are backyards an issue with a 36" gate though?...doesn't look like the ride-on would fit through a 36" gate, unless they make a smaller unit, the walk behinds look like they will...the ride-on a VERY less fatiguing though, aerating isn't an easy job, and this particular unit looks like an awesome machine...