Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2002, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's been a few years since they made the F250 you are talking about. They are all Superduties now.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've been doing serious looking for a new pickup, perhaps much the same equipment that started this thread. I have considered only a Chev 2500HD or Ford 250SD. I've found it very difficult to find a "work truck" config -- everybody wants 'bells/whistles.' I do not want to pay. I now have a 1990 F-150, in-line six cylinder, manual transmission. I've had to put two $600 repairs into the clutch because of the high reverse gearing on the manual transmission. I have a landscape business, pulling a 3000# trailer. The reverse gearing in the 3/4T models is much better suited for trailering, therefore am not considering another 1/2T model.

Anybody have any insight on the matter of resale value of a regular cab vs. an extended cab? How about resale value of a manual vs auto transmission? My plan is for a regular cab, with manual transmission, but the resale in 3-5 years may be very small. I'm looking for the XL trim (Ford), or Base trim (Chev).

I followed the suggestion of the Ford link in one of the postings, finding inventory in the local area. Does anybody know of a similar link for Chev or GMC?

I've seen posts above, plus threads in this forum, dealing with the matter of poor engines, Chev 6000 Vortec and Ford 5.4L. These are the primary engines in both pickups of consideration. Should this issue still be of concern, or is either an acceptable choice at this point in time?

Any other insights to consider?
Thanks.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brickman

Tvov I have never heard or seen double the tow rating for an auto. That doesn't make any sense for what ever manufactor does that. I can run over juicer trans guys with my 6spd.
I just dug out the owner's manuals for two of my trucks.

1993 Ranger 3.0 V-6 4x4
Manual: max tow -- 2,500 lbs
Automatic: max tow -- 4,000 lbs

1987 F-350 460ci (7.5L) V-8 4x2
Manual: max tow -- 11,500 lbs
Automatic: max tow -- 12,500 lbs

I think I had originally been confusing gross vehicle weight rating with the max tow rating,. These ratings also depend on exactly how the trucks are set up (the automatics especially are required to have transmission coolers). When I said the autos are almost double, I was thinking of my Ranger.

Even still, it is weird how much more the autos are rated for. I've talked to a few mechanics about this, and their opinion is that the manufacturers are worried about premature clutch wear on the manuals (especially by inexperienced drivers!). Except for the tranmissions, the trucks (of the same model) are equipped identically, same frame, brakes, springs, etc.

Last edited by Tvov; 12-15-2002 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Member

i bought a truck very similar to yours... its a 2001 f250 2wd with a 5 speed no a/c its just a work truck and a great one at that but sometimes i wish i could have gotten 4wd but it was not an option they had 2 like this that they had botten form ford for a huge discount they had going so i got it for 17500 with only nineteen miles on it so not bad for a 18 year old kid hey?
Old 12-16-2002, 03:24 AM
Millenium Member

Hey Andy...can you find a diesel for a little more?? Is it a crew cab?
Old 12-17-2002, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ray, it depends on your definition of a "little". It's about 5K more for the diesel. It is a regular cab. Wish I could have more but its gonna be tough to make the $400/month payments that this one will cost me.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wish mine were $400.00