Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2002, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Contractor's Guide to QuickBooks?

I am starting an excavating business in 2003. I went to the QuickBooks forum and ask about the Contractor's QB. The reply was to buy QuickBooks Pro and purchase the "Contractor's Guide to QuickBooks" It is a Craftsman Book and it comes with a QuickBooks company file that has been set up for use in the Construction industry that you can modify and use as your company file.
Has anyone tried it? Is it worth the $45 or is it mostly geared for the building construction industry?
Old 12-29-2002, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: Contractor's Guide to QuickBooks?

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinboatright
I am starting an excavating business in 2003. I went to the QuickBooks forum and ask about the Contractor's QB. The reply was to buy QuickBooks Pro and purchase the "Contractor's Guide to QuickBooks" It is a Craftsman Book and it comes with a QuickBooks company file that has been set up for use in the Construction industry that you can modify and use as your company file.
Has anyone tried it? Is it worth the $45 or is it mostly geared for the building construction industry?
They now have a new version of Quickbooks for the construction industry ( Quickbooks 2003). I don't know anything about it, but it is on the market now.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Member

I also recommend you find a Certified QuickBooks Professional Advisor (there is info on Quickbooks web page). I have a great friend that does this and she is a wonderful Godsend. She knows all the ends and outs of the program. Amazing piece of software. Without her help though I get so frustrated with it.

I will ask her about the QB Contactors edition.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Old 12-30-2002, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Used to be, years ago, that you got printed documentation with your program. 2-3 floppies, 6 big manuals, LOL. But if you took time to read all those, you knew everything about the program. Extra guides, for extra cost, could help you understand the program from different perspectives of use, without having to learn all the manuals.

Today, all the info you need to use a program is in the help button. BUT, if you don't know to look for something, you can go years not knowing that function exists in your program. What use is a $200 program, if it takes you thousands of $$ in time to use it? I would suggest that a $45 book to guide you in your exact use would be a tremendous timesaver in the learning process, and help you to make the program more functional for you. Perhaps find a forum where QB owners discuss this new specialty use to make sure it fits your needs.