Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Compact Tractors

Hey guys, I'm new to the site. Looks like there is a wealth of information here. A little bit about myself. I started a snow removal business three years ago. In May 2009 I left my desk job and decided to go full time and expand my business into lawn care, landscaping, and tree service. This past summer went very well for me. I was fortunate to leverage the snow removal relationships I built and turn them into lawn care and landscaping jobs. This winter we have been slammed with snow (Iowa) so far which has allowed me to really grow my customer base.

I am looking for some feedback on compact tractors. I just purchased a Bobcat tractor CT120 w/ FEL. I'm looking to use this for snow removal in the winter and landscaping in the summer. There are a lot of attachments you can get for the tractors 3 point. I plan on using the loader quite a bit. I would like to do a bit of aerating with it and light dirt work as well.

Anybody out there have a compact tractor they use for lawn care, snow removal, or landscaping to add services and profits to their business? Any advice feedback, or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to check out my site at www.titanoutdoorcare.com

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I've never seen the attraction of a CUT, compared to a Skidsteer. I would think a SS would be much better for what you are doing. I think Compacts are kind of a homeowner toy, not trying to be rude but they are slow and not much for capacities and they are very expensive. I'd trade it in for a enclosed cab CAT of Bobcat SS.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply and the advice. It is much appreciated. No offense taken. I should probably of been more specific at what I was using it for.

I completely see your point about a skid loader. It will likely be my next purchase. I can rent a skid if I need one for $125 a day. I don't have the business right now or the bank roll to purchase a nice enclosed skid loader.

The reason I purchased a small compact tractor is due to the fact I focus mainly on smaller residential jobs and I picked up the tractor for $12K new. The tractor is only 4 ft wide which will allow me to get into tight spaces. It will also help preserve the lawn. I have a 1/2 ton truck which limits the weight I can pull. The tractor weighs around 2,000 pounds so with a 1000 lb trailer I'm looking at pulling around 3 pounds. A nice skid and trailer can weight up to 10,000 lbs.

I also do a lot of residential snow removal. I plan on using the tractor to help out with the snow removal. I will probably put a blower on the front.

I would also like to put an aerator on the back this spring and do some larger aerating jobs.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Thats not a bad rental price! They are near 175.00 here. If you are considering buying a SS sometime they are really cheap right now, you can buy a nice enclosed cab with low hours for cheap compared to 5 years ago for the same machine. You will however like you said need a bigger truck, I think with my Bobcat and gooseneck i'm right at 11,000 lbs. I think the CUT will serve you fine but I bet once you make the jump on a Skidsteer the CUT won't be your go-to machine! The Bobcat tractors are nice units, who makes them for Bobcat? Good luck and hope your buisness goes well
Old 01-20-2010, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Bobcat tractors are basically rebadged Kioti tractors. I live in Iowa and couldn't find a dealer anywhere close. I picked up the CT120 for right at $11,875 brand new with a FEL and a the deulxe package with the mid pto and a few other things. I've done a lot of research over the past year. I eventually would like to pick up a skid loader too. From what I've heard the Bobcat tractors have been well received in the market. Bobcat came out with the tractors in 2007. However, Kioti has been around for 20 - 30 years. I'll let you know what I think once I start putting the tractor to use. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

The Bobcat dealers around my area (NE Indiana) had a promo going if you bought the tractor then they threw in the FEL for free, I thought that was a good deal! I wish they had promos for the skidloaders "Buy a new SS and throw in a backhoe attachment for free"

Kioti has been around a while, thanks for that info! be curious to see how you like it, probably wanting to get out there and get sometimeon it, it's always fun to run new equipment!