Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-20-2010, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let's not dump too much money into Haiti, you Americans still need to fix up your own natural disaster in New Orleans.
You can't take care of someone else if you don't take care of yourself first, I think there's even something in the Bible of all things that preaches that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 01-20-2010, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think the US should rebuild Haiti without the world opening it's pocketbooks. It would be insane to spend that much money when we are in the condition we are in down here. Humanitarian efforts should be high on the priority list, though.
I personally would not go down there right now as there just isn't enough shelter, food, and water.
It is a sad situation. I think we will see more and more earthquakes. You don't hear about carribean earthquakes all that often. Hurricanes, yes, earthquakes, no. Wierd.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-20-2010, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The USA has spent 3.3 Billion in Haiti since 92 and all the earthquake did was rearrange the mess that was Haiti. They will be pulling bodies out for years literally. My personal feeling is get in there and try help stablize the Country, feed all that we can and help search for the remaining survivors. The place was a trainwreck before the earth moved and it will remain so probably forever. Provide humanitarian aid and let them get started on trying to rebuild. If nothing eles it might be a good opportunity to startover, like some big Godsized etch a sketch.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Let's not dump too much money into Haiti, you Americans still need to fix up your own natural disaster in New Orleans.
You can't take care of someone else if you don't take care of yourself first, I think there's even something in the Bible of all things that preaches that.
I agree I don't read the bible so I wouldn't know.

The way the things are going down there it would be best just to give the people help searching for the survivors. When it comes to rebuilding they will just have to do it slowly on their own.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Dominican Republic shares that island with Haiti, has anybody heard of any earthquake damage there?
Old 01-20-2010, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe Haiti had another 6.1 quake this am.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
The Dominican Republic shares that island with Haiti, has anybody heard of any earthquake damage there?
My Father was at his house in the Dominican preparing to go to Haiti to work with his missions, and rebuilding of Haiti (after the flood) when the quake happened. He said you could feel the quake (in Sosua) but there was minimal damage. As he travelled closer to the boarder the damage was much more evident.

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 01-20-2010, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bad mojo going down in Haiti....anyone see the French and other "complain" about the US "occupying" Haiti? Good luck anyone else getting the job done. The French, please....we all remember WWII and the Vichey regime.

Lets stop the name calling and help these poor people. People may say help ourselves 1st, yes we should......but the little(comoared to what it costs to help our own...huge $) $ spent to at least help these peope in their ultimate hour of need...should not go unanswered. Hopefully people would help us as we are helping them if we had our own time of need.

$, Politics, and rhetoric have no place in a humanitarian crisis.

Just think, when the Vancouver Games are over, we may be invading you Canadians and supplying much needed water, security, and law & order
Old 01-20-2010, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think stuff like this will really ramp up once everyone has food and water and there is good secutiry.

Also untill this happen's the airport will and is pretty much closed to anything but food/water/medical people ect ect.

Untill you move into recovery mode you have to be very carefull using heavy equipment. They also need to figure out what they are going to do with the rubble........ if you go down now were are you going to put the rubble? No way you will be helping with SAR using heavy equipment.

I would not be supprised if the governemnt does not award contracts for people to go down with and or use heavy equipment for clean up... or at least job's doing it. I know after Katrina you could make pretty good money gutting flooded houses......
Old 01-20-2010, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
My Father was at his house in the Dominican preparing to go to Haiti to work with his missions, and rebuilding of Haiti (after the flood) when the quake happened. He said you could feel the quake (in Sosua) but there was minimal damage. As he travelled closer to the boarder the damage was much more evident.
Thanks for your answer, Sean. I was just curious if the Dominican had sustained any damage.