Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-30-2009, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I've hired people for retail and landscape, first try to get people you may know already then try to find people with experience, check references, then be very detailed as to what you expect from them, then watch them closely one guy I know shows them what he wants it to look like. Most people understand when your breaking someone in as long as it doesn't continue.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Keeping your customers

Oneshot, the way to keep your customers when you hire new employees is to train them as to the way you expect the job to be done. Training! Training! Training!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Actualy make them fill out an application in full. Tell them not to leave anything incomplete. If they do , that will give you some insight as to how they will finish jobs.
When I was a youngin and looking for work I could never understand whyjob applications had a spot for hobbies. It actualy makes a lot of sence to me now.We work 8 hrs a day , sleep 8 hrs. That leaves 8 hrs a day + weekends for hobbies activities. People who dont have hobbies or interests usualy have drug and / or alcohol abuse as a hobby.
It also gives you some insight to ones personality. High risk hobbies ( sky diving , moto x , ect are usualy enjoyed by risk takers.

Others will highly disagree with both statements , but I stand by those comments
I agree with the first half of your statement, Ill give you that much, you have to remember many people at least in my neck of the wood run 10-12 hour days 4,5,6 days a week if need be I know personally after 12 plus hours its dinner shower and bed, then restart the process. I would have to say as far as risk taking hobbies, its probably more dangerous to drive to work everyday. IMHO however you do bring up valid points
Old 01-09-2010, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

oneshot, whats your business name. I spend a lot of time in that region at my lakehouse, and my dads entire family lives in Niagra, Welland, and Port Colborne.

Last edited by NEWGUYRI; 01-09-2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: I made a grammatical error.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I know this is an older thread, but the question remains about how to hire good reliable help. A couple things I do:

1. Call it profiling if you want--this is my business and I have spent alot of $$$ and have worked hard to establish myself. Just take a quick glance into the potential employees car--if it is trashed, then he will probably not give you 100% on the job--likes to cut corners just to get the job done, not to mention how he will likely take care of your equipment. Facial piercings, derogatory tattoos, carries himself like a bum, etc--this is your company image we are talking about--make your own decision about this.

2. Drug tests. During the interview process, I tell potential employees that they are subject to a 9 panel drug test. This is how it works: I tell them to set back $40.00 from their first check to pay for the test. Tests are unannounced. On a given day, I will direct the employee to go see the doc for the drug test. If they pass, I refund the test cost. If they fail the test, they eat the $40.00 and are immediately terminated! Also, they are told that they are on the clock for the test period (pass or fail--cant do anything about labor laws). I have MANY potential employees tell me they can pass the drug test, then when I tell them how it works, those that KNOW they cant pass the test tell me they are not interested in my job anymore. It is rare these days to find a person who can even pass a drug test, so when I find one, I try to keep him. I can train someone to work to my high standards.

3. As far as I know, I pay better than any other lawn service in this area. My guys are on the clock from the time they get in the truck, til all the cleanup of equipment is completed at the end of the day. No experience pays $10.00 hr. More valid experience pays $12.00 average. Pay your guys well.
1988 Chevrolet Standard Cab Dually 4x4
1987 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton 4x4
1988 GMC Dually 4x4 Dump Truck
20' Haulmark Enclosed and Lettered
22' Open Equipment Trailer (14K capacity)
5' x 8' Open Trailer with ramp
JD Gator XUV 4x4
JD 777 72" ZTR
JD 757 60" ZTR
JD GS45 48" WB (times 2)
Stihl Trimmers/Blowers/Hedge Clippers
Old 01-18-2010, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sturgisrider View Post
I know this is an older thread, but the question remains about how to hire good reliable help. A couple things I do:

1. Call it profiling if you want--this is my business and I have spent alot of $$$ and have worked hard to establish myself. Just take a quick glance into the potential employees car--if it is trashed, then he will probably not give you 100% on the job--likes to cut corners just to get the job done, not to mention how he will likely take care of your equipment. Facial piercings, derogatory tattoos, carries himself like a bum, etc--this is your company image we are talking about--make your own decision about this.

2. Drug tests. During the interview process, I tell potential employees that they are subject to a 9 panel drug test. This is how it works: I tell them to set back $40.00 from their first check to pay for the test. Tests are unannounced. On a given day, I will direct the employee to go see the doc for the drug test. If they pass, I refund the test cost. If they fail the test, they eat the $40.00 and are immediately terminated! Also, they are told that they are on the clock for the test period (pass or fail--cant do anything about labor laws). I have MANY potential employees tell me they can pass the drug test, then when I tell them how it works, those that KNOW they cant pass the test tell me they are not interested in my job anymore. It is rare these days to find a person who can even pass a drug test, so when I find one, I try to keep him. I can train someone to work to my high standards.

3. As far as I know, I pay better than any other lawn service in this area. My guys are on the clock from the time they get in the truck, til all the cleanup of equipment is completed at the end of the day. No experience pays $10.00 hr. More valid experience pays $12.00 average. Pay your guys well.
$12 is good pay for an experienced worker? Wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgshopboss View Post
Definitely the best horse I have ever hitched my wagon to.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sturgisrider View Post

The car look may not always work. I had a guy year before last that would bring a change of clothes to work so that not a speck of dirt got in his car, but he was the worst worker I ever had. I like your other points, though. Semper Fi.