Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-19-2010, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

got a 96 1500 with around 180,000
98 1500 with around 240,000
and an 03 2500 with 181,875 (just wrote the mileage down)
all chevy gassers and no problems to speak of...
Old 01-20-2010, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

at least with a toyota tundra you will be shure of getting a good truck-the rest is a crapshoot
Old 01-20-2010, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The fact that a company had financial help from the feds, doe's not make their product any less significant!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

These threads could go on for hundreds of pages, and everyone is going to have their own opinions. But i have always owned Dodges, except for a Z-71 Chevy back in the mid 90s, but didnt use it for work. My Dodges have been good, but their automatic trannys are not that great, I always say I am going to buy a manual, then I end up getting an auto! Plus I love the HUGE center consoles in the dodges that open up, they are great for storing stuff, but I think all of the big 3 have some sort of center console that offers storage?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get what you LIKE and what WORKS for your needs.

There's no right answer to the 'best truck'. This is very opinionated and varies depending on what you need. If you have a trailer less than 2K, and want good mileage and don't need more passenger capacity than a front bench can provide, a compact/midsize truck would be your best bet.

If I towed less than 4K, I'd buy a 2wd GM 1500 ext cab short box with the 4.3L V6. I've generally favored Dodge myself, but GM's 4.3 is tried, proven, and tested. I've driven several cargo vans with this engine and all have surpassed 400K miles before they were traded in for other nearly identical (but newer) vans. That is a workhorse at a GREAT price.

Back to compacts, the Tacoma and Ranger are my two pics. A GM Canyon/Colorado can be had for similar, if not less money and tow up to 5K with the 3.5L I5. Reliability is so-so, be sure to get previous maintenance records on the vehicles you are interested in.

I wouldn't be as concerned with reliability as I would be with part replacement and availability. Generally, domestics will provide great service (Ford,Dodge, GM) and have fairly low priced replacement parts versus the import brands. Now that more imports are made in North America, parts are coming down in price as they no longer all have to be imported.

For HD use, I'd probably go with GM as well, and get a gas engine. They're fairly well built and parts do last if you maintain the vehicle (grease, oil change, transmission change, gear oil change etc). Whatever you decide to go with, make sure that it can handle the needs of your business now, and a couple years ahead.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bet if you searched this topic, there would be days of info on this. Just get one of each and have the best from all of them!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We can all hope that kubota builds trucks in our lifetime!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king View Post
Definitly!! Also a CAT truck would be great, and probably last up to around 800K miles!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king View Post
They could build a truck that lasts forever and doesn't cost a penny but as long as Chevy, Dodge or Ford still builds trucks I wouldn't take a Jap truck.