Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2010, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 25/27 (and the 747 cc 30 hp, for that matter, as well as the 28 efi) are small block engines, but with a decent sized displacement (725 cc--the only consistent difference in parts between 25 and 27 hp models is the camshaft).

They have the same size block (different bores) as all the Commands (624 cc 18-20 hp engines, and the 674 cc 22-23 hp engines). I believe all the strokes are the same (except the 30).

Kohler's "big block" engines are 34-40 hp and 999 cc.

The kawasaki FX series 31 (and current 27) are both larger displacement engines (852 cc); the 34 and 37 are 999 cc. Their 19-25 hp engines are all 675 cc (the difference being the carb, although some 25's have oil coolers).
Old 01-21-2010, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianslawncare View Post
kawi all the way i have four of them 15/17/23/27 hp no issues with them! my friend has three kohlers and he cut 80yards per week and said when the weather gets cold the kohlers are hard to start and they use more gas! but from my experience i would not look at a kohler unless the price was right. good luck. this thread has more good things about kawi than bad.
Yes I know it is a crap shoot. I wasn't looking for the answer to the age old question just a little backround on both. Tons of good information on here that has really helped make my decision. I talked to the dealer a little bit more today and he has changed his prices. For the new Kawi he wants $9400 and for the demo model kohler he wants $8400.00. So now I have some thinking to do. I am not looking to buy until about the first of April. Mowing season around here don't really get started till about the end of April. I am leaning towards the new one with the Kawi I will post some pics later with the decision. How do thoes prices sound? Has anyone else priced one out this year??
Old 01-21-2010, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
Yes I know it is a crap shoot. I wasn't looking for the answer to the age old question just a little backround on both. Tons of good information on here that has really helped make my decision. I talked to the dealer a little bit more today and he has changed his prices. For the new Kawi he wants $9400 and for the demo model kohler he wants $8400.00. So now I have some thinking to do. I am not looking to buy until about the first of April. Mowing season around here don't really get started till about the end of April. I am leaning towards the new one with the Kawi I will post some pics later with the decision. How do thoes prices sound? Has anyone else priced one out this year??
So a Kaw is worth 1000 more than a Kohler?
Old 01-21-2010, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i love how everyone chiming in is in teh 25/27 range. i used to love kawi's. kohlers were not bad, this was all 14/15/25/29hp range. i have not had a kawi big block but have heard alot of problems with them (37hp) and dont know if the 30hp is considered one of their big blocks. i am in love with my 33hp generac and wish i could put it on everything.....i know that doesnt help but i would save the $1000. dont they have the same warrantee?

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Old 01-22-2010, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't realize you have to be in a certin age bracket to be knowlegable about motors???? I have never had a generac motor but I have also heard very good things about them. A buddy has a 25 I think on his bobcat mower!

In thoes two the 1000 difference is because the kohler is a demo with 35 hours. I think if they were both brand new there was about only a $400 difference.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Chevy or Ford, That's what I say about that.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

i ran a 3000hr+ kohler this summer a while that had never been rebuilt and ran like a sewing machine! i love the kohlers ( and i was a mechanic for 15 yrs ) and they are built in the usa. i like the kawi's too, but i would go kohler or generac over 23 hp
Walker MT 26 EFI GHS
Walker MBV
Exmark Commercial 30
Exmark Commercial 21 AS
Exmark Metro 26
Echo Stuff:
PAS 280 w/shears,edger/trimmer/powerpruner/brush blade
PE280 edger
SRM-280T, SRM 230
HC 150 Shears
CS370 chain saw
Stihl MS290 Farm Boss
Echo PB 770T blower
Redmax EBZ8500 blower
Shindaiwa M242 w/ pole shears and trimmer head
Billy Goat F902S blower and KV600 VAC
Old 01-23-2010, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
I didn't realize you have to be in a certin age bracket to be knowlegable about motors???? I have never had a generac motor but I have also heard very good things about them. A buddy has a 25 I think on his bobcat mower!
was this in response to me?? what i was trying to say is the 20's hp range a different beast. kawi has had huge problems with their big blocks and great luck with their 20's hp series engines. so my comment about everyone chiming in about their 25hp is because they are not comparing apples to apples and had nothing to do with age. some manufacturers have a line of great engines and a line of failures. its like comparing an F350 gas engine to an F350 diesel or a honda mower engine to a honda accord engine.

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Old 01-23-2010, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can anyone elaborate on the kaw 37hp troubles? I know of a couple guys who have them and have had no trouble with them.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WREBELMACHINE View Post
Can anyone elaborate on the kaw 37hp troubles? I know of a couple guys who have them and have had no trouble with them.
im only repeating what ive read on this site, but the 37hp has had lots of engine failures and are horrible on fuel. do a search, many have complained. my dealer claims they have nto seen many problems with them.

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity