Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-31-2002, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes, i had a brain freeze and said wobble plate but it is the swash plate. sounds like your hot on the trail. good luck.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by khouse
yes, i had a brain freeze and said wobble plate but it is the swash plate. sounds like your hot on the trail. good luck.
Errr...... The only item I know of that's called a "swashplate" is the main control system on a Helicopter. Is there another name you have in mind???
pete
Old 01-01-2003, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

now you know of at least 2 things that have a swash plate.
Old 01-01-2003, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I took the framework and access plate off and jacked up the mower on that side so I could run it back and forth. No problems but the linkage seemed to be stiff. I removed the dampener from the linkage and that made all the difference. The dampener is wore out and doesn't work properly. I think it's the culprit, I hope. Must have water in it or dirt or something. I think I'll replace the right-hand side dampener too while I'm at it.

Once I get the new parts on, I'll test it again by running it around the yard to make sure it works.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Switchless, there is a 3rd device that houses a swash plate. I remember on the farm on an old International harvester sickle mower ( belly mount on a 560) the box that ran the sickle had a swash plate in it. It wasn't the kind with a Pitman arm.

SDlawndawg, keep up the good work!
Old 01-02-2003, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pete what does "Errr..." mean? Also here is another complex mechinism that houses a swash plate of sorts.

http://www.flying-pig.co.uk/education/pages/swash.html

This is an edit to the above post: I just looked up "err" in the dictionary and it is there. I'm just a farm boy and would have better understood "error". I won't forget that word. Yes, I make mistakes all the time but it's my ability to overcome them that get's things working. I tell people that if I was perfect they couldn't afford me.

I try my hardest to help anyone that needs it here or otherwise. I often give the wrong advice but it's very hard for anyone to feel, hear,smell and see what is wrong with an engine with just these black letters we type. I already said I was wrong calling it a wobble and variable plate before you made your post. What else did you want me to say? Now with that said - I'm going to read any new post and offer advice if I think it will help.
With respect, Kenny

Last edited by khouse; 01-03-2003 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Kenny- your advice is a big help along with everybody else's. Don't worry, I'm just a farmboy too and wasn't sure what err. meant either.