Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-30-2002, 11:22 PM
Banned

Hmmm...I've pulled my 18,000 pound hydroseeder all over Alaska with My F350 PSD and and even an F250 PSD and for one summer a 94 F350 turbodiesel. It has electric brakes and I had no problems whatsoever. It ain't exactly flat here either.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess the DOT doesn't hang around much you would have gotten a nice stay in the local jail if you ever got caught.

Now that the gov't cut back on the DOT budget for B.C. they gave the cops more power so a cop can serve you a notice of inspection if he or she pleases if they suspect something or you piss them off. So if they see your truck is overloaded they can stop you and give you some serious grief they never really could do it before but now they can. Here in B.C. any trailer that weighs over 10,000 pounds you need a CDL to pull it if you don't have the proper class of cdl you will be leaving your trailer on the side of the road and a nice fine in your pocket.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:06 AM

First off Randy I am glad to see that you are beginning to see the light where Ford is concerned.

Gravel the biggest reason I want a Cummins is for fuel economy. My PSD is as strong as an ox. But the miles per gallon leave the pocket empty at times.

As for DOT and CDL "south of the border" the US laws read the same as yours, any person opperating a vehicle grossing over 26K or any trailer RATED for over 10K or any vehicle rated for over 10K and crossing a state line must have a CDL. How ever there is so much traffic on the roads and so many people that have a tandem dually trailer or a tri axle trailer they use on the ranch that the DOT officers don't give them too much hassle unless it looks like they are running commercially then they will get stopped. To say that the DOT laws in general are very would be a gross understatement.

I am grossing over 24K many times hauling cars with my P/U and 4 car trailer. And I keep the brakes up very well on the trailer, all three axles because the truck brakes alone will not stop the rig. Now if you were to carry your same reasoning over to semis and trailers weighing 80K and you suddenly lost the trailer brakes, the tractor brakes WILL NOT stop the trailer either by them selves. So in either case, with a P/U and trailer, or semi and trailer you will be very screwed if you suddenly lost the trailer brakes.

And Gravel Rat have you ever heard of the million mile club for the "light duty" Cummins??? I know the PSD got some that are way up there, but possibly not as many. Think on that before you bash the Cummins into the ground.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

We don't have that rule that you need a CDL for a truck with a gvw higher than 26,000lbs a regular DL can be used for any 2 axle truck with any gvw. The highest rated single axle is 35,000lb if you got a regular DL you can drive it but most likely you would need a air endorsement.

The Cummins can't get that much better mileage over the PSD then again Dodge trucks are lighter than a equivilant Ford so you may gain something there. Myself I would rather own a MDT truck like a T-300 Kenworth for doing the job you have you got more pulling power and probably get the same mpg.

Myself I have a CDL I'am gonna upgrade to a class 01 (A) right now I can only drive a tandem axle straight truck or pull anysized trailer combination if truck and trailer is hydraulic brakes. Upgrading to a class A is worth it a guy gets more work plus in the work I'am in you gotta beable to pull pup and tag trailers behind gravel trucks.
Old 12-31-2002, 10:58 PM
Banned

Alaska doesn't throw people in jail for having an overweight trailer or truck, they fine them. In Alaska you are not required to stop at scale if the power unit is rated less than 10000gvwr, doesn't matter how much your trailer is rated for as long as the power unit is less than 10k.
Old 01-01-2003, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Here if the trucks gvw is over 12,125lbs (5500kgs) you have to stop at the scales like my F-Superduty truck is so I have to stop at the brake checks and scales. Its a dollar a kilogram is what the fine is so if your overweight by 1000 kgs (2200lbs) your looking at a 1000 dollar fine

The worst thing is if the cop serves you a notice of inspection where you have to take your truck and trailer to a designated inspection facility and have the vehical safety inspected. If it doesn't pass you have to get the truck fixed if not it gets a big orange sticker which means condemned. Ohya if you own a brandnew truck your not exempt they will serve you a notice you can't fight it a inspection costs 100 bucks. The insurance company won't give you insurance for the vehical if its got a outstanding inspection order.

Don't you just love all the crap us commercial drivers have to go through they are finally starting to look at non commercial people now which is good they get away with murder.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

While this is a fun read , whatever I buy next will have a manual transmission!

I wonder though..............reckon how that new 5spd auto in the Fords gonna do?????????????