Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2003, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

dumb question - how to leave a flier at house?

Ok, using 8 1/2" x 11" fliers what is the best way to leave it at the house, since IN the mailbox is out of it? I have tried different ideas such as rolling it and leaving it in the door handle or between a doorknob and the doorframe, or in putting it between the screen door and the doorframe, etc. What's the best and fastest way to do this? tips?
thanks,
Eric
Old 01-03-2003, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

An idea I had that I never utilized was to put together a packet of info (has to be a packet - needs to be heavy enough to not blow around), put it in a clear bag, tape a piece of fishing line to it (that's about 3' long), and tape the other end of the fishing line to the bottom of their closed garage door.

When they open the garage door and drive in, they can't help but notice!!

Never did it though, my wife thought it'd tick people off.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering about how to do this also. How about using a rubber band - wrapping it aroung the folded flier and then around the door knob? would this work?

Another Question. if you are puting out fliers, do you pick and choos wich houses? If you see a house with a gate you don't like or the yard just looks like a pain in the ***** to mow do you not put a flier there? Do you pick just some of the better lawns in an area to put fliers on? Do any of you knock on the door and try to give them the flier in person first ,then just leave it on the door if noones home?

sorry for so many ????
thanks

Paul Arens
Columbus, NE
Old 01-03-2003, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Realgreen makes plastic bags that hang on the door knob. You can get a 7" x 15" clear bag. At the bottom is a little blade of grass character that says "important lawncare information enclosed" The cost of 1000 is $25. Go to www.realgreen.com They offer other advertising offers as well. Here is a pic of others that I picked up at the GIE, but not sure who makes or sells them. If you want to know, email and I will find the info you are looking for.

MATT
Attached Images

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 01-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Banned

Stonehenge, I agree with your wife. It's a bit too "in your face", literally!

As far as how to put them on doors. My first year I put them ON mailboxes, between the flag and mailbox itself. If they didn't have that kind of mailbox, I'd roll/fold them and stick them in the D shaped handle of the storm door if they had that.
If they didn't have anything to stick them in or hang them on, then I'd open the storm door a tiny bit and shut it on the flier.

Last year, I bought bags and hung them on door knobs, or in the D shaped handles.

Next spring I'm getting some doorknob hangers made up and
giving them a try. These are the kind where the bottom tears off and becomes a business card. And since I have alot of bags left over, I'll also be using fliers too. I'll try to get an idea if one is more effective then the other.

PaulJ, to answer your question about skipping undesirable lawns. YES! This is one of the reasons why I like using fliers. I can weed out the undesirables. Walk right past the ones with problems (mean looking dogs with little piles all around the yard, too many toys/obstacles, etc.).
Of course there's nothing stopping them from getting your number
from the neighbor, but it reduces the chances of them calling.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

PaulJ, yes I have picked and choosed, yes i have tried to give it in person before too. Figured personal contact can't hurt, lets them see who they're dealing with but then sometimes they shy off when it's a kid... but when they get just the flier and call for estimate, I come give it they are alittle surprised at age but don't mind when they realize I'm going to do it as good or better than everyone else.
Matt, my printing company will do 2500 8 1/2 x 11 fliers for $84 or 2500 3 5/8 x 8 1/2 doorknob hangers for $168. Seems like it would be almost the same price to go ahead and just get the hangers instead of putting fliers in bags? Close enough to be worth it for convenience anyway?
Thanks though.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Addict

I just roll them up and stick them in the doorhandle on the storm/screen door. Or I stick them right under the doormat, halfway sticking out to where the wind will not blow it away. Not as professional as doorhangers, but still effective.
If its business cards, I stick them in between the door and the door facing or somewhere about eye level.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most service companies such as pest control, use the clear bag with info or invoice inside. There are door hangers out there but the plastic bags protect against the elements better and you can change up what you put inside. I'm looking at a "kit" consisting of a flyer, a standard business card and a magnetic 2 year calendar with my business info on it. A 2 year calendar (if kept) will work for me after the flyer has been trashed or lost.