Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-23-2010, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Serious Feedback about our business

I would like some serious feedback about a business I am working on. This is serious and not a ploy for advertising.

Several partners with experience in microbiology and marketing got together with the senior scientist of an agricultural biotech company (microbial inoculants) and an organic fertilizer manufacturer and came up with the idea of starting an organic lawn fertilization business.

The idea was started because of recent discoveries made by the biotech company of 17 new soil microbes. The research was initially done at Clemson University and then moved into the private sector by Investment Angels with a little help from funding the scientists received while working for the U.S. Military. Research has been done for about 7 years now.

My contribution to this process is the development of the business used to market, sell and distribute product, and to also manage the partnerships.

The business model is similar to a franchise only without the cost involved. We partner with existing Lawn Care Companies, Landscapers or Lawn Maintenance business who wan to provide Organic Lawn Fertilization. We train them on how to use our products and the prcess used to provide services to there customers. We even offer them there own websites. All they have to do is buy our proprietary products.

One of the key issues to understand are: The use of these microbes required a significant decrease in the use of traditional organic fertilizer for each application, thus the costs are significantly decreased and the Lawn Care Business can price themselves below the traditional national fertilizer companies for most applications, while still making a good profit margin.

There are no costs or fees paid to us, but the lawn care business will need to have liquid spraying and aeration equipment, so if they do not have it they will need to purchase or lease it.

To view our site and program go to:
www.organicturfdoctor.com

My questions are:

1. Do you think this is a business model that will work? Why or why not?
2. Does the current economic climate cause the program to be attractive or a turn off to the average lawn care business right now, and why?
3. What problems do you foresee for a program like this?
4. What are the barriers or objections that customers might have?

Either answer the questions here or leave feedback using email from the website.

Thank you,

David Faust
COO
Old 01-23-2010, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

you would get a lot of responses to. This in the organic fertilizer section.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2010, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My experience has been
  • Organics take a while or multiple apps to work and people paying for a spray service want results now
  • Most companies especially successful one don't like change or new things

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 01-26-2010, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Great website alot of good information for organic lawn care.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That’s a pretty well built web site for just an idea???seems like you already know the answer

It is what it is......

Check out some of our manicuring http://sangerlawncareplus.com/Site%202/Photos%202.html

Tags
business , fertilizer , organic